scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
So, Recently had had en issue where my [Motherboard was not accepting 2 ram sticks] (Only 1).
I ended up going for an RMA, but now as i have my new motherboard windows have decided that it doesn't like it.
It gives me that 'Activate Windows' watermark in the bottom right corner, i read at Microsoft's Website that if you make a significant hardware change then you have to follow some steps but the this is i did exactly that, i have even read a few other ones that have anything on how to reactivate Windows. but again doesn't work for me, it always ends up with some error message.

Solution
The only people who can help you with activation are MIcrosoft, if you call them they should be able to sort it out their end. Helps if you have either an email address that you registered windows with or the product code for the install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only people who can help you with activation are MIcrosoft, if you call them they should be able to sort it out their end. Helps if you have either an email address that you registered windows with or the product code for the install.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you followed the steps and assigned the Windows license to a Microsoft Account, before making the swap and then logged into the computer (with the new motherboard installed) using that account, it may take a few days for the activation server to catch up... or you could call Microsoft about the activation.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
So, Recently had had en issue where my [Motherboard was not accepting 2 ram sticks] (Only 1).
I ended up going for an RMA, but now as i have my new motherboard windows have decided that it doesn't like it.
It gives me that 'Activate Windows' watermark in the bottom right corner, i read at Microsoft's Website that if you make a significant hardware change then you have to follow some steps but the this is i did exactly that, i have even read a few other ones that have anything on how to reactivate Windows. but again doesn't work for me, it always ends up with some error message.
If you went through the Activation Troubleshooter steps, and it still fails to activate...this is when you call Microsoft. They are the only ones who can fix this.

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Ok, So i called them and they told me to buy a new Windows License.
This is one of the most disappointing Answer I have ever heard for any support team, i don't believe in them when they say that they can't help, but i would rather spend my energy on something else than fighting with them over something like a windows activation key, so i just found a 6$ [Windows Pro activation key ] on eBay, so at the end of the day, you could look at this as an Easy 6$ upgrade from Home to Pro.

Seriously, the help i got from this Thread is better then what they told me on the phone, So Thanks for the help :)

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And, as a quick aside, will usually fix this in mere minutes.

You can only reactivate an existing OEM license if a mobo is replaced due to failure. If you elect to replace a mobo "just because" that is, in Microsoft's view, the equivalent of buying another machine without an OS.

If your original license was OEM, tying it specifically to the machine on which it was activated "in perpetuity" then it will not transfer. If it was retail then you should call back and if the first rep won't activate it again for you ask to be put through to their supervisor.

[Addendum: And when I say OEM I mean that literally: Came preinstalled from your computer's OEM. If you purchase an OEM license at retail things get significantly blurrier. End user purchased OEM licenses are a gray area.]

Last edited: