[SOLVED] Windows boot error when adding a second HDD to gaming notebook

algeisse

Prominent
Oct 28, 2019
Windows boot error when adding a secondary HDD storage drive into Dell G3 gaming laptop
My computer details:
Gaming laptop Dell G3 3590:
  • 8BG RAM DDR4
  • Intel core i5-9300H 4.1 GHz
  • Intel HD graphics 630 and Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB with Max-Q Design
  • Windows 10
  • 512 GB SSD (containing Windows 10 and all files)
I knew that the laptop had an empty secondary storage space, so I had an old HDD drive from an old computer (Seagate Mobile HDD 1TB ST1000LMO35). I wiped all the information (files and windows 10), connecting it with the laptop via USB, using the windows 10 formatting tool.

After that, I turned the laptop off, opened the case, connected the HDD to the motherboard, closed everything, turned the laptop on and it showed the following: “preparing automatic repair” repeatedly. So, I turned it off, opened it again and removed the HDD, loading windows 10 without a problem only with my SSD drive, leaving the secondary storage space free.

I would like to use the secondary drive, because 500GB of storage isn’t enough for me. I hope someone can help me (and sorry for my English, it’s not my native language.

Solution
The laptop is most likely trying to bootup from the new HDD.

Try holding or pressing F2 repeatedly during bootup to enter the bios and set the boot order to load windows from your main Drive and not the secondary drive.