Windows boot manager not on cloned SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2018
I cloned my 1tb SSD to a new 2tb, but after restarting my computer it just goes into BIOS and there's no Windows boot manager on the drive, it's just picked up as another drive, I've tried startup repair and attempting to fix it via command line has yielded no results.

Jul 18, 2018

I used ASUS clone drive utility, so I didn't get to select specific things to clone to the new drive

Jul 18, 2018

Sorry, I'm not particularly sure what you mean...

Jul 18, 2018

dG8Ebsm.png

this is without the cloned drive in

Jul 18, 2018

Sorta worked but got Windows error screen on startup

MrkxPLo.png

Kieth12 above has a solution.Time to go old school . You should disconnect the 1TB drive. Then install windows on the new drive. Get that one set up, looking pretty and to be sure, reboot several times so it is OK. Then attach the old drive as storage and transfer files to the new drive. Then terminate the partitions in the old drive with extreme prejudice and partition it anew as a simple basic disk in disk management.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

If this fails, time for a clean install.

Jul 18, 2018

I've already tried this, the screen cap is after I had boot issues after cloning, and I'd like to avoid having to do a fresh install.

USAFRet

Titan

Your Disk 0 and Disk 1 are two different physical drives.

Why is the 1TB Disk 1 (Offline) still in there?

Avoiding a full reinstall is great, if and only if the clone operation actually works.

Jul 18, 2018

I'm not sure what you mean by "two different physical drives" and the old 1tb ssd is my original system drive, it was the only way to get back into windows after the boot problems with the 2tb one.

USAFRet

Titan
So somehow during the clone process, you missed some things.

The boot partition on the new drive does not work.
But also, the 930GB partition (used to be the C) on the 1TB is Offline and empty(?).

Meaning you're booting from the 1TB boot partition, but the working OS lives on the 2TB.

Try this:
Assuming you have a WIn 10 install USB...

Power OFF.
Disconnect the 1TB drive. Have only the new 2TB connected.
Boot up from your Win 10 install USB, and run the Repair function.
That may fix this.

Jul 18, 2018

I also tried this, led to loop "attempting to fix" to "automatic repair couldn't repair PC"

Jul 18, 2018

Yeah that's my luck thanks anyway

Jul 18, 2018

I should be able to just keep the 1tb in and forget about this ever happening, but I did reset all my BIOS settings...

Oct 19, 2019
Hello, I have a similar issue and before I start down the path with a clean install, I was hoping you could look at my disk management of my new SSD to see if you can see any issues. I already followed all the instructions above about cloning the drive using Reflect. Using the Marcium Reflect clone software, I thought the software correctly cloned the drive, but when I review the partitions in disk management I am not yet sure. I would have inserted an image, but looks like you need it to be on a website which I don't have but in Disk Management window under Disk 0 (Original 2TB HDD that was my source for my clone) there are three partitions:
  1. 39MB Healthy (OEM Partition)
  2. 11.73 GB Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)
  3. OS (C: )1851.24 GB NTFS Health (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
But when I look at the three partitions cloned to the SSD drive, they are not identical for Disk 1:
  1. 39 MB Healthy (OEM Partition)
  2. 11.73 Healthy (Recovery Partition)
  3. OS (P: ) 919.74 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)
Does the fact that the new (P: ) drive does not show Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, before the primary partition description imply that the clone did not actually clone it correctly some how?

Status
Not open for further replies.