Windows can not be installed to this disk

9ytuhtx3

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
"windows can not be installed to this disk the selected disk has an MBR partition table on EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
is the error i keep encountering while doing custom install (to have a fresh install) of windows 10 on my windows 7 ultimate computer. How do I fix this so i can do a fresh install?

Solution
Firstly, if you haven't previously installed 10 then you need to install from within Windows to get the free upgrade. It gives you a clean install option. If you do this, you'll get a Legacy/MBR of 10, which will boot slightly slower.

Once you've done that for licensing, you can boot off the disk and delete all partitions on the drive, then create one new one. This will write a new partition table of the correct type.
Firstly, if you haven't previously installed 10 then you need to install from within Windows to get the free upgrade. It gives you a clean install option. If you do this, you'll get a Legacy/MBR of 10, which will boot slightly slower.

Once you've done that for licensing, you can boot off the disk and delete all partitions on the drive, then create one new one. This will write a new partition table of the correct type.

Solution