Windows Cannot boot

Ultimatesaber27

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017
Hello there, i've had this one problem with windows 7 that doesn't let me get past of the black screen, the one telling me that a recent change in software or hardware may have caused the problem, or something of the sort. Anyway, from there it sends me to windows boot recovery, sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't, and none of the options it gives me after it finishes attempting to fix the problem works either, this has happened to me three times before, and usually when that error occurs, it doesn't last long before it gets to the unrecoverable state i just mentioned, forcing me to send the computer for repairs.

My question is, can i do something to actually be prepared for something like this? Like, backup something in the computer, create an image with a disk, anything? I fear that the next time i shut down my computer, it might enter into that state, and obviously i could no longer access to internet for help. Because of that, i'll be waiting for an answer with my computer turned on.

If you did not understand what i said, i'll try to rephrase it in a manner that it would be understandable, because i'm not a native english speaker, and most of the time i use google translate things just get worse for others to actually understand.

Solution
Well - Onekey Recovery creates copy of your windows partition and adds separate boot entry in bootloader (you can refresh the copy later also).
So, when your windows becomes non-bootable, you launch recovery procedure (from this additional boot entry) and it automatically restores your windows to state, when copy was made.
But - that also means, that any new files made on windows partition after creation of copy will be lost in case of restore. And if your hard drive dies, restore will not be possible either.
Its a nifty software and really easy to use, but will not protect against all possible disasters.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
This has been a common issue very recently and I believe it has to do with Windows Updates.
Turn off windows updates. Like really turn them off. Driver updates and everything. Restore back to that point.
Or better yet update to Windows 10 and not worry about it anymore.
Otherwise it'll just keep updating drivers that conflict with your current drivers and you're going to have the same issue repeatedly.

You can create recovery partition similar to OEMs create.
There is a software for that - called Aomei Onekey Recovery.
You can download it from majorgeeks (2nd mirror download link).
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/aomei_onekey_recovery.html

Software home page is:
http://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html
Free version was removed some time ago. Now it's back, but I haven't tested it yet. Majorgeeks have older fully-functional free version.

Ultimatesaber27

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

I've had windows update turned off since the last 3 months. Besides, my hardware is very old, i'm not sure it can handle windows 10 very well. And because of this, i really never knew how to update windows, or how it works. I just take it to a tech store and let them install (or reinstall in this case) windows 7 to my computer, but i've never done it myself ever.

i have tried making a recovery partition in the past mainly with acronis

never tried that aomei one

one issue with those are the recovery partition is on the windows drive so it is possible for it to get corrupted--acronis failed me a few times

and if your hard drive fails you wont have the ability to recover

personally a cloned second hard drive and macrium images as well are what i do

Ultimatesaber27

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

When this problem appears, it usually lets me see all of my folders and files, which are still intact, in other words, all of my files are untouched by this issue, and every time it has happened i was able to recover every single file. I just want to be able to fix the startup problem, as it is the only one that gives me trouble.

Also, i don't have a 2nd hard drive. I can't afford buying a new computer, let alone a hard drive. i've had this one for 8 years, if i'm not mistaken. In fact, the hard drive i am using right now is a laptop one, because it was cheap back then. A whole computer from back then costs 10 times less than a hard drive alone nowadays.

Ultimatesaber27

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

Okay, i'll give this a try. Is there anything else that can help me with this? I just want to be as prepared as possible, because i really need the computer in the next few days.

Well - Onekey Recovery creates copy of your windows partition and adds separate boot entry in bootloader (you can refresh the copy later also).
So, when your windows becomes non-bootable, you launch recovery procedure (from this additional boot entry) and it automatically restores your windows to state, when copy was made.
But - that also means, that any new files made on windows partition after creation of copy will be lost in case of restore. And if your hard drive dies, restore will not be possible either.
Its a nifty software and really easy to use, but will not protect against all possible disasters.

Solution

Ultimatesaber27

Prominent
Jun 10, 2017

I understand, it may be wise to just reinstall windows 7 again so it can last for a few more months, but right now i have to maintain the computer in an operational state, just until i finish this matter.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, i will give it a try and report back tomorrow if the computer decided to turn on normally or if that software you recommended worked.