[SOLVED] Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
I mistakenly deleted a partition on my SSD that had windows on it (I know, rookie mistake) and now I find myself installing windows via USB drive that I created from my Macbook.

I get to the installation screen of windows, select the drive I want to install it on, and when the installation process starts I get this message:

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.

I've read several different things to try in other forms and posts, but I honestly wasn't sure where was best to start with my situation. Here is what I've tried so far.

- Unplugged secondary storage and all external peripherals except my keyboard and my USB drive I'm using for the installation. (I didn't not disconnect my GPU, should I?)

I've read it potentially being issues with administrative rights and fixing that through command prompt, I also read a few things about settings in the bios, or even something around the disk names/assignments. I thought it would be better to ask the community rather than guessing what I should do next. I'm sure its obvious from reading this I am in over my head. I can provide whatever information is needed, I'm just not sure what is useful. I'll list my system specs below if that helps.

One random thought. Is it possible I don't have my SSD setup as the primary drive. When I'm viewing the drives it looks like it's only pickup up my USB. WIN10INS (C:) is my USB, and I believe Boot (X:) is as well. I know I'm probably not making much sense, I'm just trying to provide any info I think could help.

79XTaf.jpg

Here are my system specs:

MSI X570 Tomahawk
Ryzen 9 5900x
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 (4x8) DDR 4-3200
Samsung 850 Evo Series 500GB
Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Corsair HXi 1000W

Last edited:
Solution
Doublecheck everything you have done here.

Thank you, @Johnwmel for your support here. There is no frustration on my part. I'm willing to try about anything at this point. Anything that I can understand that is.

So I went through the linked article you sent and double-checked that I covered everything that was covered in the 4 methods. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same message. I'm just going to outline briefly what I did in case I'm missing something.

Method 1: Disabling all unnecessary hardware (Yes)
- I did this. unplugged everything except for my mouse, keyboard, GPU, and the SSD I'm...

rgd1101

Don't
- Unplugged secondary storage and all external peripherals except my keyboard and my USB drive I'm using for the installation. (I didn't not disconnect my GPU, should I?)
no ryzen don't have igpu
but do unplug all your other hdd/ssd

when you said it have 3 drives, is that on the same ssd that you try to install windows to? do you need to keep the data on them?

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
when you said it have 3 drives, is that on the same ssd that you try to install windows to? do you need to keep the data on them?

Thank you for the reply. You must have read my post before I edited it. Now I’m just seeing 2 “drives”. I provided a screen shot of what I’m seeing. I don’t even know if I’m using the right technical language. What I’m seeing now is WIN10INS (C) and Boot (X). I THINK those are both on my usb thumb drive I’m trying to install from.

There isn’t any data I’m afraid of loosing. I think I’ve already cleared all my SSD‘a anyway.

I mistakenly deleted a partition on my SSD that had windows on it (I know, rookie mistake) and now I find myself installing windows via USB drive that I created from my Macbook.
You can probably restore deleted partition. Minitool partition wizard free has partition undelete function.

Anyway - have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
If you install in UEFI mode, drive has to be partitioned in GPT. With improperly partitioned drive you can't install.
If you install in legacy mode, drive has to be partitioned in MBR.

It's best to clean the drive before installing windows onto it. Then install process takes care of proper partitioning.
You can use diskpart to clean drive.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
@SkyNetRising - Thank you for your reply and help. Since I erased the partition I wiped both my SSDs clean, so unfortunately I think restoring it isn't an option.

The boot disk/USB I made is set for UEFI. I followed this video to set it up. I THINK I have my bios setup the way that it needs to be. I have it set to boot in UEFI and disabled secure boot. I can send some screenshots/videos of my bios if it's helpful. I'll see if I can get that recorded this afternoon.

I also did convert my SSD to GPT. To clean my disk I've pretty much followed the instructions you shared in your screenshot exactly. The only additional step I took was to convert my disk to GPT after I cleaned it.

Any other thoughts or information that I can provide that would be helpful? I'm wondering if at this point I should just record exactly what I'm doing on my phone and post it here.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Very good job on the video.
It appears to be an over the top install & not a clean install.
In other words you want to save all your stuff?
thanks for the reply!

I’ve “cleaned” my SSD. I showed that in the video, but maybe you are talking about something else?

but to answer your question, no, I don’t care if I loose anything on my SSD. I believe it’s already wiped.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Doublecheck everything you have done here.

Thank you, @Johnwmel for your support here. There is no frustration on my part. I'm willing to try about anything at this point. Anything that I can understand that is.

So I went through the linked article you sent and double-checked that I covered everything that was covered in the 4 methods. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same message. I'm just going to outline briefly what I did in case I'm missing something.

Method 1: Disabling all unnecessary hardware (Yes)
- I did this. unplugged everything except for my mouse, keyboard, GPU, and the SSD I'm installing to.

Method 2: Prepare the installation media properly (No)
- Unfortunately, I cannot replicate what was outlined here. I am working from a MacBook pro to create the boot media and I can't use Rufus or MediaCreation tool since they are windows programs. I used this video to create my USB boot disk:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LgzMaYCQk&t=1668s

I was thinking about trying this method out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tax450N3-M

No particular reason other than I'm lost at what else to do/try.

Method 3: Verify whether BIOS supports the Windows version (Pretty Sure)
- I had window 10 installed previously, so I assume it supports it just fine. Unless there is something else specific that I should check.

Method 4: Deleting all partitions (Yes)
- Unless I'm understanding this step incorrectly, I did delete partitions. In the video I recorded I did this, but let me know if I did it wrong or I'm misunderstanding this step.

Again, thank you for the help.

Solution

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
You are so through, thanks for that.
"I used this video to create my USB boot disk "
Mentions using usb3, does the PC have USB3.
Lets see if you can use this, instead of Rufus.
Ventoy
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Ventoy.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.