Question Windows crashing few minutes after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I accidentally pulled on power cord when the computer was on. After reboot I began getting all sorts of error messages, different one with each reboot: missing or corrupted Windows files, stop code, exception not handled, BSOD, you name it. Safe mode or recovery doesn't work, because it goes straight to error screen after reboot.

When I tried again next day, Windows DID recover quickly and start, but after few minutes began crashing the same way. I can pretty much get it on for few minutes every time, on "cold" start. Does it mean that temperature is a problem? It's a pretty old PC, but very solid build. Never overheated before and was working normally before the cord incident. Fans are working. Just in case, I opened the case and vacuumed inside, but that didn't change anything. No recent hardware changes or updates. Board reports normally, so I am assuming power source and board are fine. Windows is on dedicated SSD, maybe the SSD got somehow damaged during power outage?

I am really mystified. If anyone has a theory what could possibly have happened, I would appreciate any advice!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have a win 10 installer?
If not, On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Is there anything on PC you want to save now?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Clean install should be all that is needed, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Aug 11, 2020
Thank you for your replies. However, I disagree with the call that it's Windows problem and reinstall would solve it. It would be showing more consistently and cold start would not make any difference.

I reinstalled Windows and the same thing kept happening. I thought it was the SSD so I formatted the SSD, installed Windows on different drive and eventually disabled the SSD in BIOS. But the Windows errors kept happening even when I was installing from boot USB which I created today (!).

Using the "cold start" :) method I got to the point where Windows is almost done reinstalling to another drive (I haven't been able to start it from there, yet).

It's really weird because once I begin getting errors, they return almost immediately after boot. But, on a cold start I can get even thirty minutes of uninterrupted work time. Since the SSD is now bypassed, it must be some other component. I am guessing the board?... but when I run all BIOS tests they all check out. As I said, it's really old computer so if my new install doesn't work I am going to let it go.

Thank you Colif for the Notepad trick, this will allow me to save the files! If anyone has a working theory what actually happened to this PC, I am all ears: I am really puzzled and wondering what it was.

Aug 11, 2020
Corsair TX 650 W. It has always been working well, even under a big load (it used to be a gaming PC, back when it was put together) but maybe it is indeed the power source... is there any way to test it?

Aug 11, 2020
The PC has been running all day today without crashes. My hypothesis are:

1. Divine intervention
  2. SSD. I think it's corrupted in a way that any time Windows even tries to access it (from a different drive), it produces random Windows errors that actually last even after reboot. After a million of crashes and trying different things I formatted the SSD and removed it from boot in BIOS. As long as I stay away from it, everything works.

Apparently the "shelf life " of SSds is about ten years, and this one is nearing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS