SanditeSpartan

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
After I have returned from deployment for several months, my Windows updated. And ever since the newest update, I have noticed that after some time, either a few hours or a day or so, my sessions start to hang or 'hitch/lag' every 60-80 seconds. I notice it when I'm typing, such as this thread, loading new pages, scrolling, and even gaming.
So I looked to my task manager and clicked through the various tabs (cpu/memory/disk/gpu) and ordered them in descending loads and I noticed that in the disk usage, the Windows Explorer jumps to the top when it hitches. I have found a temporary fix by restarting the program, but it just does comes back lagging a few hours later.
Is there a permanent solution to this? I fear by doing this, I'm ultimately causing more harm.

Last edited:

SanditeSpartan

Honorable
Sep 6, 2014
Hello

Please try updating the graphics driver as well. Many times such issues are caused by the obsolete or incompatible drivers, and updating them does the trick.

Feel free to report back if the problem isn't resolved, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!
I have updated the drivers and everything is up to date. Lagging is still happening. I can only temporarily fix it by restarting it from the task manager. But it just starts hanging up my pc a few hours later.

Reactions: kaveenme
Sep 15, 2019
have some sort of experience with explorer

When I open File Explorer and try to right-click on the folder and open in a new window on the context menu, Explorer hangs, freezes and closes everything and restarts.
it does work well if I try to open more than one explorer window in any other method, Win+E, right-click explorer icon in the taskbar and open new one ect, but only context menu gives this issue. tried reinstalling windows with new disk image from windows Azure portal.azure.com (university provided account) but issue occurs.
tried SFC and no issues were found.

PC details.
i7 7700 @3.60 HHz
16GB ram
Palit GTX1060 6GB
Gigabyte G1 Sniper B7

Windows 10 Education
Version 1903
OS Build 18262.356