Windows Explorer Toolbar Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last week my Windows Explorer Toolbar disappeared. When I open "my
documents" or any other folder on my computer, the top toolbar isn't present.
I can't access the file menu, change folder views, or anything.

I've run several checks for viruses or malware using McAfee and AdAware with
no significant results.

I suspect it's a problem in Windows, but I can't figure out how to repair it.

I keep Windows up to date, and running extremely lean. I have few extra
processes running.

I attempted a system restore back to the day before the problem occurred.
Upon startup, I would get an error message stating Windows Explorer Must
Close. I did an unrestore.

Anyone who has had this problem... and fixed it... I'd love to hear from you.

Here are some things to look at and/or try.

In no particular order, but, please read it all.

In Full Screen (F11) the Menu Bar, the Address Bar and Links can be added.

You can also right click the Toolbar and select Menu Bar.

Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.

The Menu Bar has:
File
Edit
View
Favorites
Tools
Help
-----

You will have to try these in both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

Try Alt + Spacebar and select Restore.
or Alt + Spacebar + R.

Try Alt + V and UNCheck Full Screen.
or Alt + V + F.

Try Alt + V, point to Toolbars and select Menu Bar.
or Alt + V + T + M.

Also the File menus could have been removed do to Group Policy and/or a
registry setting.

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
and/or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
Value Name: NoFileMenu
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = The File menus are active.
1 = The File menus are removed or disabled.
NoFileMenu not listed in registry = The File menus are active.
---

If XP Pro, use Group Policy, this does NOT work for XP Home...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | Click OK|
Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
Windows Explorer\
Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
Set to: Not configured

Remove File menu from Windows Explorer
[[Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer.

This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to perform
tasks available on the File menu.

Removes the File menu from My Computer and Windows Explorer, and disables
the File menu in Internet Explorer.]]
---

IE or WE Missing Address Bar
Start | Run | Type or paste: REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL |
Click OK | Reboot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FEBC7EC8-95C3-442A-A30B-67335027FEBA@microsoft.com,
SunFyre <SunFyre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Last week my Windows Explorer Toolbar disappeared. When I open "my
> documents" or any other folder on my computer, the top toolbar isn't
> present. I can't access the file menu, change folder views, or anything.
>
> I've run several checks for viruses or malware using McAfee and AdAware
> with no significant results.
>
> I suspect it's a problem in Windows, but I can't figure out how to repair
> it.
>
> I keep Windows up to date, and running extremely lean. I have few extra
> processes running.
>
> I attempted a system restore back to the day before the problem occurred.
> Upon startup, I would get an error message stating Windows Explorer Must
> Close. I did an unrestore.
>
> Anyone who has had this problem... and fixed it... I'd love to hear from
> you.

simonetarantino

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
HERE THE COMPLETE OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to remove the corrupt value(s).

Close all open Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows. Start the Registry Editor (Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT.EXE).

Go to the following Registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

For Windows Explorer: In the right pane, locate the Explorer sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

For Internet Explorer: In the right pane, locate the WebBrowser sub-key and open it. In the right pane, locate the ITBarLayout value. Right click this value and select Delete.

Quit Registry Editor.

Open the affected program (Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer) and verify that you're Menu bar/Toolbar has been restored. If not, close all open Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer Windows and repeat the above step. Then locate the ShellBrowser sub-key, open it and delete the ITBarLayout value there.

Simone
www.nineoneseven.com

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
If this is the complete official solution, then where is your source that states that?

Also, don't resurrect old threads....geez! Let em stay dormant!

brittanyITpro

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
ALL THESE SOLUTIONS ARE NOT CORRECT
(simonetarantino is close based on Microsoft Support - they need to edit the support)............................

Follow the following steps to fix Missing Windows Explorer Toolbar (If you do not trust this, make a back-up pf your registry first):

Start > Run > Type "Regedit"
Use Keys: Ctrl+F (Find Function)
Type "ITBarLayout" (Should only find one under path: HKEY Users>S-1 *****>Software>Toolbars>Shellbrowser
Delete ITBarLayout

Reboot and the ITBarLayout will be regenerated.

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and you will find the issue is resolved

Thank you my friend, it works!! I search a lot of sites for this problem and your solution is perfect!!! Thank you again!!!!

Many thanks for help me out on this problem. i spent more than two hours trying many suggetion but it didn't work.
Finally i follow your step and it fix the problem, now tool bar came back :)
I'm so happy, i really appreciate your help. ;)

Best Regards,
Badr

You are a true blessing. Hit Alt V clicked on toolbars, hit menu and VOILA all my File, Edit, View, Favs, Tools and help are BACk! I cannot tell u how many "official websites" and how many hours I have been sitting here watching the snow coming down, printing useless "helps" and running "Let Us Fix It For You" :non: programs to no avail. So simple the way you got it done! Bless you Bless you Bless you. This has bothered me for weeks so I have avoided using my laptop and used hubby's pc instead. I am so happy that I found you literally! Don't listen to the naysayers. They are obviously doing something wrong or have bigger issues! Peace and many thanks going out to you brother! <3 :bounce: :hello: You just made my day!

You are a true blessing. Hit Alt V clicked on toolbars, hit menu and VOILA all my File, Edit, View, Favs, Tools and help are BACk! I cannot tell u how many "official websites" and how many hours I have been sitting here watching the snow coming down, printing useless "helps" and running "Let Us Fix It For You" :non: programs to no avail. So simple the way you got it done! Bless you Bless you Bless you. This has bothered me for weeks so I have avoided using my laptop and used hubby's pc instead. I am so happy that I found you literally! Don't listen to the naysayers. They are obviously doing something wrong or have bigger issues! Peace and many thanks going out to you brother! <3 :bounce: :hello: You just made my day!

Thanks I have tried all of the above solutions but none worked except Alt V, worked like a charm.

Thanks I have tried all of the above solutions but none worked except Alt V, worked like a charm.

alt V did not work noe F11. how can i get back the menu bar without using any solutions that may affect my registry? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyguy

Here are some things to look at and/or try.
In no particular order, but, please read it all.
In Full Screen (F11) the Menu Bar, the Address Bar and Links can be added.
Alt + V will open the View menu where you can uncheck Full Screen.

Thanks for the huge number of tips. Alt-V was the magic that let me re-adjust my browser. I thought I had a virus, but now the address bar and menu bar are back where they belong!!!! :pt1cable:

compprob237

Distinguished

EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you!

I experienced this issue on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Address bar was gone from Control Panel and Windows Explorer (WE) but worked fine in IE. When checking the 'View' --> 'Toolbars' menu in WE it shows address bar checked even thought it doesn't show. If I uncheck address bar, close WE, and then open WE, address bar is checked again even though I unchecked it.

Tried all of the standard keyboard shortcuts and deleting the ITBarLayout and ITBar7Layout registry keys listed in this thread -- none worked.

Then I reread more carefully through the first responder's post. This is an exerpt from the first responder:

"IE or WE Missing Address Bar
Start | Run | Type or paste: REGSVR32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL |
Click OK | Reboot"

I tried this and it worked -- problem solved -- all address bars have returned. After several reboots they still work.

Re-registering browseui.dll with the /i switch did the trick.

Thank you!!

I hope this helps someone.

-techtree