[SOLVED] Windows File Share Over The Internet (No VPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Hi!

I am looking for a solution to mapping a windows file share over the internet.
We have a work file share that we are all connected to which contains a lot of files around 1TB worth of customer files and internal files. I am looking for a secure way to access these files remotely, something that could be mapped as a network location on windows (if not, something just as simple). I have been trying to use windows FTP server but I haven't got the hang of it yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Solution
In your original post, you said
We have a work file share that we are all connected to which contains a lot of files around 1TB worth of customer files and internal files
But then said
good free VPN setups?
Those two points of view do not correlate. If this is a business then treat it like one. Get a business class router that will terminate VPN efficiently. It is a business expense, treat it like one and spend a little capital.

kanewolf

Titan
We have a work file share that we are all connected to which contains a lot of files around 1TB worth of customer files and internal files
But then said
good free VPN setups?
Those two points of view do not correlate. If this is a business then treat it like one. Get a business class router that will terminate VPN efficiently. It is a business expense, treat it like one and spend a little capital.

Solution

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017

But then said

Hi, while I definitely understand your point of view and I would love to do it that why but the only issue is, is that I am only an apprentice they told me to get a free way of solving this issue and I can't say anything to support an idea that costs money.

We are also a small company and don't have funds for higher end IT equipment.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, while I definitely understand your point of view and I would love to do it that why but the only issue is, is that I am only an apprentice they told me to get a free way of solving this issue and I can't say anything to support an idea that costs money.

We out here completely understand the word "budget". And that is often $0.

We also deeply understand the terms security, data loss, data breach, downtime.

Given a "free VPN" solution, how much revenue would it cost your company for 48 hours of downtime?
Or all your customer data released to....whoever?
Or even just slow throughput from this "free VPN"?

Going cheap on a business expense is usually more expensive than doing it right.

kanewolf

Titan

IMO, you need to tell "truth to power". Provide them the technical information as to why a a free VPN is not a good idea. Things like @USAFRet just identified.
A business class VPN router isn't free, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
We out here completely understand the word "budget". And that is often $0.

We also deeply understand the terms security, data loss, data breach, downtime.

Given a "free VPN" solution, how much revenue would it cost your company for 48 hours of downtime?
Or all your customer data released to....whoever?
Or even just slow throughput from this "free VPN"?

Going cheap on a business expense is usually more expensive than doing it right.
Hi thanks for your response. Our customer data isn't personal, all of it is graphics work for customers and the files required to export/print. So its not necessarily a major issue.

To be totally honest I'm not sure of the losses that we would have, however I'm sure we could potentially manage with the slow throughput.

How expensive is a VPN capable router?

Hi thanks for your response. Our customer data isn't personal, all of it is graphics work for customers and the files required to export/print. So its not necessarily a major issue.

To be totally honest I'm not sure of the losses that we would have, however I'm sure we could potentially manage with the slow throughput.

How expensive is a VPN capable router?
Lose your customer's files and you will soon find yourselves without customers. That's the (one of the majors anyway) cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.