[SOLVED] Windows from SSD to SSD with only one sata cable

Yoomax

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Hi my current SSD has been showing some issues like not showing up in my bios now and then so I have ordered a new one before the other one completely dies (and this one has more space)

Now my question is, I know I can clone and move my windows from ssd to ssd with certain software BUT... is there also some kind of way to 'move' my windows while I can only have one ssd connected at a time? I only have one cable...

Yoomax

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
You absolutely need some other connected drive.
Internal, external, something.
WE can give directions either way.

What size/make/model are these drives?

My old SSD is a 6G INTEL SSD sc2bw240h6 (240gb)
The one I bought a Samsung 860 EVO (500gb)

I certainly have an external drive with 1TB space I could use

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming the external has sufficient empty space to hold the entirety of your current drive, this:
(you'll also need a blank USB flash drive. 4GB or so)

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new 860 EVO
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Yoomax

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
Assuming the external has sufficient empty space to hold the entirety of your current drive, this:
(you'll also need a blank USB flash drive. 4GB or so)

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new 860 EVO
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.
Thank you, I'll do it after work tomorrow. At least I know exactly what to do now (didn't want to turn it into a mess)

USAFRet

Titan
With a Samsung drive you should also have access to the Samsung data migration software. Worked very well for me in my upgrade.
Lacking a $1 SATA cable makes proper migration sort of difficult.
Samsung tool or otherwise.

Reactions: digitalgriffin