[SOLVED] Windows has stopped GPU device after vbios

Apr 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I flashed a different vbios for my Zephyrus S GX107GX 9750H
Now no matter what drivers i install , the GPU is not recognized by Windows and device manager says there's an error with the drivers.
The GPU is also not detected by CPUZ etc.

Any way to fix this situation?

When i reinstall drivers it says that it works fine at first but it's not true: as soon as I restart, device manager shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" again.

Would be really thankful for any help!

Solution
No this issue just came up after I flashed the vbios. It gave blue screen & it restarted. Upon restart the situation turned into the screenshot you see here:

7eKUq1Y.png

The card is recognized, but then when you click on it Device status reads: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
As far as I've tried different ways to reinstall drivers , the result remains this each time I restart the computer.

The vbios I flashed is for the same type of card, simply a different manufacturer (I have ASUS but flashed an alienware one for the higher voltage).
I tried flashing this one back but same result. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213643/213643

Yeah, as I said...
Why did you flash your laptop GPU to begin with? The performance gain should be miniscule if none at best and there are hard-locks set on your laptop GPU for a reason. If you needed to fine-tune anything simply using MSI afterburner would've sufficed.

Try flashing it back to the original vbios if you can, hopefully you backed it up before flashing. The modified VBIOS you flashed onto it might've severed certain compatibilities your laptop uses to communicate with the GPU.

Reactions: randomA
Apr 25, 2021
Why did you flash your laptop GPU to begin with? The performance gain should be miniscule if none at best and there are hard-locks set on your laptop GPU for a reason. If you needed to fine-tune anything simply using MSI afterburner would've sufficed.

Try flashing it back to the original vbios if you can, hopefully you backed it up before flashing. The modified VBIOS you flashed onto it might've severed certain compatibilities your laptop uses to communicate with the GPU.
Because the later vbios runs the gpu at higher wattage.
I do not have a backup. However, shouldn't the stock vbios be available somewhere online?

Because the later vbios runs the gpu at higher wattage.
I do not have a backup. However, shouldn't the stock vbios be available somewhere online?

By "later VBIOS" do you mean it comes straight from the manufacturer? Motherboards are custom designed to meet certain limits and fiddling with those limits with a non-official vbios could cause complications with your system. This includes the motherboard only being able to handle a certain wattage input, removing that limiter could overload the system, it's a good thinkg all you're getting are these errors and nothing more. As for stock VBIOS, hopefully it's available online - I'd first check for it where you got the 'later VBIOS' from. But that's always the first rule when flashing a VBIOS, always make a backup of your stock/initial VBIOS in-case the new version causes issues.

Reactions: randomA
Yes my bad, i don't have a backup.
The closer match would seem to be this: VGA Bios Collection: Asus rtx2080 max-q 8 GB | TechPowerUp

However, upon flashing it , nothing much has changed. I still get the driver error. The GPU is detected by device status says : "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Was this Code 43 issue happening before you flashed it in the first place or did you just want extra performance? If not then chances are you might've messed up this graphics card, the only sure fix would be to re-flash the original VBIOS it came with (which unfortunately you don't have). You can also try reinstalling your nvidia drivers but I don't think it'll help much.

Also type in windows search, "device manager" and go to the "display adapter" section. See if your device notices the GPU at all and if it's also being recognized there. There's not much repair you can do from there but it's good to make sure the device still recognizes what it is.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021
Was this issue happening before you flashed it in the first place? If not then chances are you might've messed up this graphics card, the only sure fix would be to re-flash the original VBIOS it came with (which unfortunately you don't have). You can also try reinstalling your nvidia drivers but I don't think it'll help much.

Also type in windows search, "device manager" and go to the "display adapter" section. See if your device notices the GPU at all and if it's also being recognized there. There's not much repair you can do from there but it's good to make sure the device still recognizes what it is.

No this issue just came up after I flashed the vbios. It gave blue screen & it restarted. Upon restart the situation turned into the screenshot you see here:

7eKUq1Y.png

The card is recognized, but then when you click on it Device status reads: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
As far as I've tried different ways to reinstall drivers , the result remains this each time I restart the computer.

The vbios I flashed is for the same type of card, simply a different manufacturer (I have ASUS but flashed an alienware one for the higher voltage).
I tried flashing this one back but same result. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213643/213643

7eKUq1Y.png

Yeah, as I said earlier boards are custom designed from laptop to laptop, so this VBIOS you found may not work with your system unless it's verified to do so with your specific laptop model. It's good that it still recognizes the GPU for what it is, but unless it has the proper VBIOS the laptop motherboard can't create a proper handshake with the GPU hardware. The only way I'd try and solve this is to ask a retailer, a friend, Asus forums, or various other tech forums for anyone who has the same exact laptop model as you with the exact same specs and if they can send over the original manufacturer VBIOS.

And in the future, if you want more performance, I'd just stick with overclocking. VBIOS modification is not something you should do on laptops, desktop GPU's are more appropriate and may actually see benefit from it.

Solution
Currently this is the GPUZ details of my GPU:
View: https://i.imgur.com/KsABf9r.jpg

One user sent me his vbios for the rtx 2080 max-q from the gx701gxr (mine is gx701gxh) and this was the returned log:
View: https://i.imgur.com/gOCbh89.jpg

What do you think is happening here?
Why does it look like everything is normal to me and yet the drivers aren't working ?

It's not working because you flashed an un-supported firmware to the system. As to an exact bare metal and firmware coding reason, you probably would need an nVidia or MSI engineer to look into it for a specific cause.

Apr 25, 2021
It's not working because you flashed an un-supported firmware to the system. As to an exact bare metal and firmware coding reason, you probably would need an nVidia or MSI engineer to look into it for a specific cause.
plenty of other ppl flashed it succesfully tho. also usually it can always be flashed back.
are you saying this one is gone?