Question Windows Hello not working

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
I have a Dell XPS-8960 desktop and an MSI GS76 Stealth laptop, both running Windows 11 Pro latest update. The MSI is starting Windows just fine, but on the Dell, today when I went to log in, the only option on the logon screen was to enter my PIN. My fingerprint reader and camera did not appear. When I opened settings, it told me that neither option was available. I checked device manager, and it said both devices were working properly.

Can anyone help?

Ralston18

Titan
For the Dell desktop post full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

You can also look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewere for error codes, warnings, or even informatonal events that may be related to the the reader and camera problems.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "dism" and "sfc /scannow".

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Compare the desktop's and laptop's Update History logs- there may be some related difference there.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
You could try uninstalling them and from device manager, then scan for hardware changes in the menu at top of device manager to see if it picks them up again, reboot and try.

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
For the Dell desktop post full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

You can also look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewere for error codes, warnings, or even informatonal events that may be related to the the reader and camera problems.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "dism" and "sfc /scannow".

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Compare the desktop's and laptop's Update History logs- there may be some related difference there.

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
This is a brand-new Dell XPS8960 desktop that I have been setting up for weeks. Please keep in mind that Windows Hello worked just fine for a couple of weeks. On my MSI Stealth GS76 laptop, which has a virtually identical setup except 16 cores instead of 32 and 16GB memory instead of 32, with the same Windows 11 Pro build, Windows Hello works just fine.

OS Windows 11 Pro 24H2
Computer type PC/Desktop
Manufacturer/Model Dell XPS-8960
CPU intel i9 13900
Motherboard Dell 0XD433
Memory32 GB
Graphics Card(s)NVidia GeForce RTX 4070
Sound Card NVidia AD104
Monitor(s) Displays Samsung SAM1766
Screen Resolution 4K UHD 32"
Hard Drives 2TB NVMe, 2TB SATA, 4 Synology NAS RAID servers
Keyboard Logitech Logi Options+ Bluetooth
Mouse Logitech Logi Options+ Bluetooth
Internet Speed1 GB
BrowserEdge
AntivirusWindows Defender

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
The fingerprint reader is an ELAN WBF Fingerprint sensor and a Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device. The camera is an Elecom 2MP webcam and an Elecom Face Authorization Cam. Neither is integrated- both are USB. Both worked just fine for a ouple of weeks and jboth just stopped working today.

Jun 28, 2024
I have a Dell XPS-8960 desktop and an MSI GS76 Stealth laptop, both running Windows 11 Pro latest update. The MSI is starting Windows just fine, but on the Dell, today when I went to log in, the only option on the logon screen was to enter my PIN. My fingerprint reader and camera did not appear. When I opened settings, it told me that neither option was available. I checked device manager, and it said both devices were working properly.

Can anyone help?
Idk if this will work but try to disable and then again enable your finger scanner and camera through control panel then restart and try to login again