Question Windows Media Player - not recognizing inserted audio CD for burning

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Ok, I need to burn a new playdisc w/ specific OSTs and all for music therapy, so was gonna use my laptop. Learned back in teen years how to make the list and burn it to audio CD w/ Windows Media Player (WMP). It worked pretty well for a long time. Now, when just inserted audio CD--fresh from store, so know there's no issue there--WMP won't recognize it, still says need to insert audio CD. WMP is fully up-to-date.

IDK what to do. This is a Windows 8 laptop (3rd time making playdisc), less than three years old, never had issues before until this. I thought the hard drive replacement went smoothly, and this is very maddening since require the therapy. How do I fix WMP? Keep in mind I'm pretty new to this stuff. Thanks for the help.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It doesn't matter if the CD is brand new if it has a defect (and it could) nor, even if it's perfect, will it matter if your CD drive has gone wonky or just doesn't like it.

Laptop optical drives are notorious for being finicky and failing far earlier than others do.

You need to do some diagnostic checks with other CDs to see if it's more likely the drive or the CD itself that the drive doesn't like.

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Tried a few other CDs, including game DVDs, and same result: no autoplay pop-up. Guess optical drive promoted itself to Junk Drive.

Well, that poses an opportunity--consult manufacturer's manual for this laptop and see about replacing the optical drive. Be a nice project to put on LinkedIn (understand that for IT careers, self-initiative to learn more and IT certs are how to get in, but that's another topic.)

But I've more a mind to just put optical drive in my desktop. Are there any brands you'd recommend? Believe all optical drives come w/ necessary whatevers to burn audio CDs these days. Think that'll resolve my issue--and appreciate the help.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would take a look on YouTube for "Replace CD (or DVD) Drive" plus your make and model of laptop. Generally, these are a cinch to replace as they're generally held in by a single screw, that is accessible from the outside of the case, and are unitary. It's a pull out, push in affair in most cases.