Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool runs on every boot

McLayn

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I wanted to test my RAM using mdsched.exe, so I scheduled the test and restarted my PC. It didn't find any problem, but every time since then, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool runs before booting Windows.

I tried
- googling, but I didn't find anything helpful
- looking in msconfig, but there are too many items so I could have missed something as I didnt know what exactly to look for
- looking in registry, but there is nothing in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
- looking in Task Scheduler. The only interesting-looking item is /Microsoft/Windows/MemoryDiagnostic. On my another computer, it exists before scheduling Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it looks exactly the same before scheduling and after scheduling (and before restart as well as after restart)

I do have a legal copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit. However, I changed it's language after installation and it seems to be a reason not to let me run a repair from my installation DVD.
(in W7 professional the language can be changed only by installing a package through cmd and then editing registry)
There are no restore points prior to the first Memory Diagnostic Tool test.

Solution
[SOLVED:] I tried scheduling Avast antivirus "Test after restart". After restarting the computer, the Avast test ran and since then, there were no more mdsched.exe tests.

McLayn

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Thanks for your answer.
I tried looking in Task Scheduler and the only interesting-looking item is /Microsoft/Windows/MemoryDiagnostic. On my another computer, it exists before scheduling Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it looks exactly the same before scheduling and after scheduling (and before restart as well as after restart)

McLayn 2

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
[SOLVED:] I tried scheduling Avast antivirus "Test after restart". After restarting the computer, the Avast test ran and since then, there were no more mdsched.exe tests.

Solution