Question Windows Memory Diagnostic tool stuck for 2 days

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello,

I've had many weird issues with my desktop PC which was ordered from a local tech store in my area. It's under warranty with dell. My display monitors have blacked out while watching YouTube etc. I read it could be a ram issue as I updated all my graphic drivers and tried different graphic cards. I started running a memory test using the built in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool on Wed at 11pm. I woke up Thursday morning and it was at 10 percent of pass 1 of 2. It's now Friday and the memory test still hasn't finished and it's been stuck at pass 2 of 2 at 21 percent since 9am this morning and it's currently 4:30pm where I am. What is going on? Underneath the current progress bar it mentions there is no current problems found. The fans in the computer have been making weird grinding sounds and skipping sounds. Is the ram really broken but just nothing being detected by the memory tool or is there something else wrong with the computer?

I have a windows 10 computer with 16GB of ram. Curently there is a 8GB graphic card which is a Quadro m4000 by NVIDIA. The OS is on a SSD drive and It's for editing video which the program Premiere I use meets all the required specs of my machine.

Thanks,

Bryce

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
What are you full specs including PSU make and model?

That probably means faulty RAM as I don't think it should take that long.

You can also try running memtest to determine whether the RAM modules are faulty or not.

This is everything for my machine. How do I run a memtest? Is it true that ram would cause display monitors to disconnect and go black? It only happens when the computer fans speed up and when I'm doing something intense like trying to render video while editing etc.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1270 @ 3.60GHz 32 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 09WH54 (U3E1)
Graphics
LG TV (1920x1080@30Hz)
SHARP HDMI (1768x992@30Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (NVIDIA) 46 °C
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G1B0A-00H9H0 (SSD) 34 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WDS200T2B0A-00SM50 (SSD) 30 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00SPEB0 (SATA) 33 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (SATA) 38 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T1B0A-00H9H0 (SSD) 25 °C
1863GB Samsung Portable SSD T5 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 24 °C
4657GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 39 °C
14GB Freecom Portable USB USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N
Audio
Scarlett 18i8 USB

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
One easy way way is to download the USB drive installer from here (the one which has a red NEW! nest to it). Copy/put it on a USB flash drive and boot from that.

It will run automatically. You will need to go into your BIOS to change boot order set it to boot from a USB drive though. I've seen a few times that it will only boot from a USB 2 port. Another get memtest86+ not the other one with no plus.

Screen going black during heavy loads can be caused by other things too, such as overheating or PSU failing to provide the card with necessary power.

You have to monitor CPU and GPU temps during such loads as some software render using CPU and some some use GPUs.

What is your PSU? Is it a peropriatary Dell PSU? What is the part number? What does the sticker/label on the PSU say? Can you take a picture and upload it somewhere and post a link here of the PSU?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
What is your PSU? Is it a peropriatary Dell PSU? What is the part number? What does the sticker/label on the PSU say? Can you take a picture and upload it somewhere and post a link here of the PSU?

It's a dell computer. My local computer store ordered online from dell.com. I have warrenty service with on site support with dell but unfortunately as I explain below they won't do the support since I've customized it with added PCIe cards for extra drives etc

This what my power supply is based on the model number that's on the power supply. It's a dell power supply. http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-365w-switching-power-supply-7vk45_i_pwrsplydel7vk45.aspx

I downloaded a hardware monitor program and it says my graphics card temperature is 167 degrees Fahrenheit at start up and when I use premiere it jumps to about 180 but never any more than that. I don't think it should be this hot. After closing the premiere program the temperature never cools down below 167 even after I left the computer sitting with all the main programs closed including chrome and even explorer.

the overall CPU temps are quite high as well around 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Dell support online said they can't service in person as I have added custom parts that they don't recommend. It baffles me why that is when the local store I got it from said I could customize it to my heart's content and still get support on-site service with Dell. Is there another power supply for this computer or not?

I went online top best buy and most video editing windows desktops have power supplies that are around 500-650 watts

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well I think a Quadro m4000 uses around 120-150W and your CPU is also a 70-80W so that's a total of 200-220W under full load.

That PSU (not sure about quality) says 365W total output which is somehow low. There's really no set standard for PSUs on video editing rigs. Power consumption is determined by components under load and might vary. Some people use multiple graphics card to render with Blender and those systems might even need 700-800W depending on components.

When your systems load is for example 380W there's no point in having a 600W PSU. It won't hurt anything but it's a waste of money and resources because it's not necessary.

That card of yours requires a 6-pin auxiliary PCIE power connector from the PSU. I think I see a 6-pin in the PSU pictures on that website, does the one in your case have a PCIE power cable that is connected to the graphics card?

167 F is around 75C I think which is not bad for a graphics card under load, 180F is around 81-2C? That is also not dangerous but on the high side. What is the ambient temp like? How about the ventilation inside the case? Are there intake and exhaust fans in the case?

Although the card temp at idle should not be around 75C. You might want to improve general air flow/ventilation inside the case by adding fans (if possible) or changing to a new case. Also in nvidia control panel change power settings from high performance to adaptive and see if temps drop a bit.

130F is around 55C I think and that's quite good for a CPU under load.

One more thing, you have connected the card to two displays?

OffbeatBryce

Honorable
Mar 27, 2017
Well I think a Quadro m4000 uses around 120-150W and your CPU is also a 70-80W so that's a total of 200-220W under full load.

That PSU (not sure about quality) says 365W total output which is somehow low. There's really no set standard for PSUs on video editing rigs. Power consumption is determined by components under load and might vary. Some people use multiple graphics card to render with Blender and those systems might even need 700-800W depending on components.

When your systems load is for example 380W there's no point in having a 600W PSU. It won't hurt anything but it's a waste of money and resources because it's not necessary.

That card of yours requires a 6-pin auxiliary PCIE power connector from the PSU. I think I see a 6-pin in the PSU pictures on that website, does the one in your case have a PCIE power cable that is connected to the graphics card?

167 F is around 75C I think which is not bad for a graphics card under load, 180F is around 81-2C? That is also not dangerous but on the high side. What is the ambient temp like? How about the ventilation inside the case? Are there intake and exhaust fans in the case?

Although the card temp at idle should not be around 75C. You might want to improve general air flow/ventilation inside the case by adding fans (if possible) or changing to a new case. Also in nvidia control panel change power settings from high performance to adaptive and see if temps drop a bit.

130F is around 55C I think and that's quite good for a CPU under load.

One more thing, you have connected the card to two displays?

Okay, so I was able to cool down my graphics card with a third party utility. Running a bit better. I contacted Nvidia and was told that Adobe software requires a 500 watt power supply or more for the intense graphic work and I'm putting much load on the graphics card I have. I also was sent a link from Nvidia support which lists all the graphics cards and the watt load of the PSU and sure enough, the quadro m4000 required 500 watts for premiere. I was told the standard 250 watts for the graphic card is if you aren't putting stress on it and that certain programs such as adobe require a larger power supply with graphics cards.

I then went online and sure enough several tutorials for building custom PCs for video editing talk about power supplies that are 500 Watt's or more.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/NVidia-GPU-Chart.html

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That, with all due respect, is wrong even if from nvidia support. They don't know how much power their products use? The Quadro M4000 has a 6-pin from PSU (75W from PCIE slot + 75W from 6-pin) and maximum it can draw is around 150W no matter what program you run; it can't go up to say 250W for example. Your CPU is also 70-80W.

If a graphcis card's maximum draw is 150W it doesn't matter what program you use as it can not magically draw 300W because it is using Premiere for instance.

Your initial post was that Windows Memory Diagnostic is taking very long and I said that's probably because of faulty RAM and didn't look closely at that PSU page.

I said earlier that PSU webpage here that you posted says 365W; although sum of those A / B / C / sb 12V rails times their relative amperes is 536W (so maybe a typo?). Or maybe because they know that unit is not capable of 536W. Also no mention of 3.3 and 5 volts rails!

Let's assume the 365W is right (doubtful) ) it's not much but if that PSU CAN REALLY deliver 365W it's OK for your components (mainly CPU + GPU) but at this point I doubt that. I also asked if that PSU inside your case is exactly the same as the one on that page and whether it has the 6-pin and you didn't answer that.

I said earlier, you might find recommendations of 500W PSUs for editing rigs online but that's probably because that machine needs that much power. Yours does not need that much.

Although it's not a bad idea to get a good-quality decent 500W PSU in general. You have to check with Dell for that as the connectors on motherboard might be proprietary and not compatible with all PSUs out there.

The link you posted, by the way, is broken and goes to a 404 error (page not found) and it's not an official nvidia link anyway.

You also didn't answer my other question. Is the card connected to two different displays with different resolutions?