Windows not detecting PCI express card

Status
Not open for further replies.

verto256

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

I recently bought a new video card Nvidia Geforce 210 and installed it in my PC and flipped it on and it was recognized. i then went into device manager and under display adapters i hit uninstall on the video card because the drivers were faulty. After doing this i restarted the PC and now it will not even recognize the card i had in there or any other PCI express card.

Ive made sure i have it enabled in BIOS and i know the slot is getting power becuase the fan is working.

Im at a loss and need help!! TY

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Congrats on the new GPU, but it seems you have a couple of issues here. First, you don't enable a stand alone GPU in your BIOS (you might enable the motherboard's integrated video adapter though - or- you can tell the motherboard which video adapter to use first). So, you may have inadvertently turned on your integrated GPU and it may be conflicting with your new GPU.

That being said, check your BIOS. Then see if you can boot into safe mode. If successful, you should then be able to reinstall your drivers (just download directly from nvidia.com).

If that fails, come on back and we'll try something else. Good luck!

verto256

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hi, and TY for the response!

I will try this as soon as i have access. Is it possible too by hitting uninstall device in device manager that something in the registry might be messed up to where any PCI express card will not be recognized?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Not likely a problem. When uninstalling from Device Manager, the drivers themselves are removed. Upon restart, the hardware is then re-detected (normally) and you can proceed from there.

What operating system are you using? What are you system's basic specs?

verto256

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Acer Aspire AM 5641 tower

windows XP SP2
4gb ram
150gb HDD
550 watt PSU 40 amps on a 12v rail
intel pentium D processor

its basically a work PC but needed a video upgrade to run lower end games like WoW until we invest in a actual gaming PC.

We had a GT 240 card in it and ran fine but then quit working. so we took it back and got the GT 210.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, you can access the BIOS, but can't get Windows to display anything, right?

Power everything down, then remove the new GPU from the system. Connect your monitor to the on-board video and restart the system. Download driversweeper (google it) and remove all Nvidia drivers. Shutdown, re-install new GPU, boot, and install new drivers.

Good luck!

verto256

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Video card worked when it was first put in and windows booted up. i then installed the driver to it from nvidia.com but it was failing and installed incorrectly. i then went into device manager and went under displays then right clicked on the geforce 210 card and hit uninstall where i was prompted "are you sure".

After doing this the PC restarted but wouldn't work off the pci express card so i had to use the onboard video until i could try to load drivers for it. after cleaning all the old drivers i rebooted and then i shut the PC down to put the card in. once i turned on the PC it wouldn't even acknowledge it at all even plug and play wasn't showing it.

i tried another pci express card, my old 6800xt i use for backup and it wouldn't show up either. i do not know where to go from here. also its a PC used to work from home call center so i do not want to have to reinstall windows.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In your BIOS, there will be a selection for which VGA (or video) device to use first. Change that setting to either PEG or PCI-E (name may vary). Don't select the on-board video.

If you have an entry to disable the on-board video, do that as well (this is fairly uncommon).

Then power down after saving the BIOS settings and install the new GPU. Boot the system and you should be able to get into Windows.

verto256

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
The only thing in the BIOS i see if for shared memory. theres nothing that shows to switch any type of video. ive looked pretty good into it.

The PC is fine with the onboard graphics but wont pickup the addon PCI express card at all when we attempt to install it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you using the most current BIOS (R01.C2)? Also, did you run driversweeper? Last, if you install the 210 into the PCI-E slot and connect your monitor to it, can you see the BIOS screen or anything before the system attempts to boot into Windows?

trstnmxc

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

I am excitedly following this thread as I am having the exact same problem with a different model of computer and graphics card on Vista 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.