Question Windows registry has done me dirty(literally). Need help with USBport Device IDs.

SaINt_

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2016
Ok so I bought a new mic and everything seemed fine till about a week later when it decided to just become incompatible. I did some checking and apparently the device ID migration just wasn't working for this since the day I plugged it in. I tried a bunch of fixes and thought it was the Mics fault so I ordered a replacement and the same warning appears in the event log.

I did some more digging and apparently my pc? (win10)? Is calling upon some old device ID which I strongly believe is my cellphone from whenever I decided to use it as a modem/USB hotspot? and data transfer piece, So there's about 2 or 3 logs of it in registry with separate IDs for each function I used it for. The cellphone in question has a dead screen so I can't use it to help fix my troubles.

Can anyone help me completely clean the old IDs and such from my installation? I'm trying to avoid a fresh restart because I did some quickfix wonky SYSprep stuff from when I first got my laptop in order to force it to take my SSD as my system drive and my HDD as my everything else drive; because for whatever reason it decided it knows best and I have no idea how to fix that problem later if it pops up again.

I'm on 64bit-WIN10 -version 20h2. Build 19042.928. Hopefully I posted this issue and proper information in the right place.
Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Make and model "new mic"?

Stay out of the Registry. Registry editing is a last resort and only should be attempted after full system backups including the Registry itself.

Look for more error information in Reliability History. The timeline format may prove helpful if you see errors appearing when the new mic was first installed.

Could be a file corruption problem caused by the mic's drivers.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that then try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

SaINt_

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Make and model "new mic"?

Stay out of the Registry. Registry editing is a last resort and only should be attempted after full system backups including the Registry itself.

Look for more error information in Reliability History. The timeline format may prove helpful if you see errors appearing when the new mic was first installed.

Could be a file corruption problem caused by the mic's drivers.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Failing that then try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
Its a Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH and the model is 81SX
Intel processor i5-9300H
BIOS vers. BHCN41WW. Smbios vers 3.0
with NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti
using 64bit windows 10 home, version10.0.19042 build 19042
Both microphones were brand new and the same type. Its a Fifine-k678
Hopefully I listed everything.

I haven't edited the registry I've just been scrolling through it to help get a clear picture on what IDs and devices have created this mess. (quick update) I plugged my old cell in and it had the wrong ID I was looking for when thankfully the system was able to read everything without screen input. So I jumped over to my new phone which had the right ID but this ID led me to a new ID which was my tablet now I'm back to trying to follow the trail in hopes to figure something out. Only other items I plugged into this laptop were USBs and an external drive.

There's nothing of note in the reliability history. Only errors showing are back from the last microphone every time I plugged it in trying to test it a few times before it flat out stopped being read by the system. I can try troubleshoot and scans again with the new mic; it didn't help last time. Troubleshooter saw the issue but didn't fix it and the scans came back clean. I'm trying to limit how many times I plug the new mic in because I don't it to get corrupted and fail on me like the last one.

Ralston18

Titan
Scrolling the registry - okay. Key is to not inadvertently change something, Cancel is your friend. :)

This microphone?

https://www.amazon.com/FIFINE-Microphone-Recording-PS4-Headphone-K678/dp/B085WRN1VD

Go a couple more steps forward:

Try the mic on another known working computer.

Try other known working mics on your computer.

Determine if the problems follow the mic or stay with the computer.

Manually download the applicable mic drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party driver installers.)

What errors were show in Reliability History? Right clicking any given error may provide more information. Unfortunately that information may or may not be directly helpful.

[ Moderator Note: Moving post from Window 10 to Home Audio. More applicable.]

SaINt_

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2016
Scrolling the registry - okay. Key is to not inadvertently change something, Cancel is your friend. :)

This microphone?

https://www.amazon.com/FIFINE-Microphone-Recording-PS4-Headphone-K678/dp/B085WRN1VD

Go a couple more steps forward:

Try the mic on another known working computer.

Try other known working mics on your computer.

Determine if the problems follow the mic or stay with the computer.

Manually download the applicable mic drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party driver installers.)

What errors were show in Reliability History? Right clicking any given error may provide more information. Unfortunately that information may or may not be directly helpful.

[ Moderator Note: Moving post from Window 10 to Home Audio. More applicable.]
Yea I've been extra careful to not change anything. I've just been scrolling through looking for identifiable words to figure out what's failing. I've tracked the new ID just by seeing what each device is listing as LastDeviceInstanceID to a storage device. It says USB but I have to manually check all 5 then I'll check the external HDD. I don't even know if this is leading me somewhere good but I presume it saying the IDs don't match and it leading me to a new item that came before it could be important.

Yea that's the microphone. Sadly I don't have another computer available but I presume if 2 brand new mics of the same make and model are coming up bad on my end its probably me seeing as though they start off working. So far the new one works but I fear if I ignore this issue my laptop might send this mic to the grave also. Sadly don't have other mics either.

I checked the website but didn't see any drivers. The errors were showing device errors clocking back to each time I plugged the last mic in which was dead at that point and skipped warning me again just to give me unreadable errors and stopped showing up in lists no matter what I tried. I also don't think its the mics because its migrating and reading my Xbox controller just fine; but not migrating the tablet and cellphones I mentioned.

SaINt_

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2016
Not quite sure of what to do now. I've come across 2 USB that may or may not be the culprits for windows spitting out USB errors on anything that's not a game controller. The USBs in question both start with VID abcd PID 1234 followed by a string of characters that only vary by 1 letter being F or f.