Windows Search(Cortana (SearchUI.exe)) not friendly with Ryzen 7 3700X

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I recently was unknowingly forced installed Windows 10 Update KB4512941 on Windows Version 1903, but i notice afterwards my Windows Search (Cortana) is using high cpu usage causing my clock speed to be stuck at around 4GHZ all times on my 8 Cores / 16 Threads Processor. I do not know what happen here.

unknown.png

Can someone review the issue on what happen here.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I just got a Ryzen 7 3700x. I will be updating my BIOS and installing it tomorrow or the next day.
I already have Windows 10 1903 installed so I will post back here after I get the 3700x installed and let you know if I have that problem.

I just got it in my Update drop. I'm letting it run and will find out what it does myself...

EDIT: did a google and found this:
So now we know.

EDIT #2: I just got it installed and so far at least things are pretty normal on my 3700x system. That article did say 'some systems'... so I guess the 'some systems' doesn't mean 'all Ryzen 3700X systems'.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you checked in Power options to see if you are maybe running HIgh Performance mode which will set your CPU at max speed all the time

can you go to same tab as your 1st shot and click "open resource monitor" and look on CPU tab and show proof it is Cortana as be strange for it to run on more than 1 core at once. the cortana process is likely called SearchUI.exe

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Have you checked in Power options to see if you are maybe running HIgh Performance mode which will set your CPU at max speed all the time

can you go to same tab as your 1st shot and click "open resource monitor" and look on CPU tab and show proof it is Cortana as be strange for it to run on more than 1 core at once. the cortana process is likely called SearchUI.exe
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-causes-high-cpu-usage,40290.html A further confirm few days later it does cause high cpu usage

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I just got it in my Update drop. I'm letting it run and will find out what it does myself...

EDIT: did a google and found this:
So now we know.

EDIT #2: I just got it installed and so far at least things are pretty normal on my 3700x system. That article did say 'some systems'... so I guess the 'some systems' doesn't mean 'all Ryzen 3700X systems'.

I just checked and I do Not have that update 9KB4512941) installed.
So I won't be installing it now or after I install my 3700x.
Thanks for letting us know about this issue.
Since i have the Windows 10 Education 64 Bit - I had to use gpedit just to disable Windows Search until they fix it since i cant uninstall a update that forced in a solid way that you cant uninstall the update cause there no right click menu. I had prevent it from disrupting my computer performance again by preventing it form loading and showing up on my task manger...that took many advanced steps just to permanently disable it .

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I can confirm this as I had the issue also. CPU doesn't matter, I have an older Intel 920. Cortana was using about 40% of the CPU resources on my PC.

I did the reg edit listed on the above page and it rebooted and it fixed the problem. Always backup your registry before editing it. I found the registry answer on another site.
This information is definitely appreciated.
Luckily I have not installed that update yet and it is listed as optional on my PC so I will not be installing it.
Hopefully MS will release an update that fixes the issues that update was supposed to fix without causing the CPU usage problem.

I have had Cortana disabled on my pc via PowerShell commands for a while.

I'm wondering if I did that way back in the early days of Windows10 since I really disliked the intrusiveness of Cortana. Do you think that setting would endure through the many updates I've had since then?

At any rate, I had only brief period of high CPU useage after the update to KB4512941 on my system. After it settled down it's been just like before. If I didn't do that Cortana thing then I wonder what the difference could be?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I have had Cortana disabled on my pc via PowerShell commands for a while.

Even months ago it used a good bit of my 1st gen CPU. It actually affected my Celeron system (now runs Linux) since the CPU was so weak.
I'm wondering if I did that way back in the early days of Windows10 since I really disliked the intrusiveness of Cortana. Do you think that setting would endure through the many updates I've had since then?

At any rate, I had only brief period of high CPU useage after the update to KB4512941 on my system. After it settled down it's been just like before. If I didn't do that Cortana thing then I wonder what the difference could be?
"Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update."

This was posted on their patch notes site.