==Windows Trash 2005==

1 : windows xp is already lot more than 1 gigs after install but i have
found that it creates a lot trash to eat on our drives. such as when u
install sp2 setup, it first extracts itself onto a separate partition and
then launches its setup, that setup after copying its files into respective
system folders of system also creates another totally unnecessary folder in
windows dir with name -ServicePackFiles- in this folder u will find sp2
files just lying there eating on ur drive space and slowing ur computer. we
can delete this ServicePackFiles folder from windows dir and free more than
500 megs of space.

2 : windows xp creates a bogus system folder namely -dllcache- in which it
creates duplicate copies of almost every program which u happen to be using
usually, that folder was more than 170 megs on my system partition, i
deleted that folder and that one in no. 1 and got my system loading faster
almost more than 3 seconds faster than previously with these two totally
redundant folders eating up my drive space.

3: in windows xp u can safely delete folder names like
$$UNINSTALLKB0526998$$ or folder containing installation files for any
service pack or hot fix, these folder are hidden but after unhiding them can
be safely deleted to free up space and speeding up ur pc.

remember to run defragmentor after doing all of these things.

more windows trashing stores, coming soon,

_MrM_

"mujeebrm" <mujeebrm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ==Windows Trash 2005==
>
> 1 : windows xp is already lot more than 1 gigs after install but i have
> found that it creates a lot trash to eat on our drives. such as when u
> install sp2 setup, it first extracts itself onto a separate partition and
> then launches its setup, that setup after copying its files into
> respective system folders of system also creates another totally
> unnecessary folder in windows dir with name -ServicePackFiles- in this
> folder u will find sp2 files just lying there eating on ur drive space and
> slowing ur computer. we can delete this ServicePackFiles folder from
> windows dir and free more than 500 megs of space.

Un huh, and when you need to replace a corrupted file with an uncorrupted
one and no longer have this directory you are faced with reinstalling all of
SP2 rather than just expanding the one file. Sure, that makes sense. Most of
these files are not freely downloadable, and you can't revert to an original
version on the XP CD, you need the updated version. Also, if you are
installing WinXP on anything less than 5GB, then you are hanging yourself.
If you have plenty of drive space, why would you worry about this essential
backup using a portion of it? Is there a prize for the most drive space
available? Using up drive space does not slow your computer up.

> 2 : windows xp creates a bogus system folder namely -dllcache- in which it
> creates duplicate copies of almost every program which u happen to be
> using usually, that folder was more than 170 megs on my system partition,
> i deleted that folder and that one in no. 1 and got my system loading
> faster almost more than 3 seconds faster than previously with these two
> totally redundant folders eating up my drive space.

Not bogus, this is by design. It's called System File Protection (SFP) and
it's there to keep the user from screwing up the system file set by
installing something that overwrites a system file with an older version, or
a corrupt one (recall the dll hell days of Win9x? This is the cure). If the
system file is altered or deleted, it is replaced by a good copy from the
cache. Removing it is counterproductive (and frankly not very bright - you
have a better way of protecting the system file set?). Again, why are you
worried about space? 3 seconds? Woohoo - another prize! Does the person with
the fastest boot and most drive space win?

> 3: in windows xp u can safely delete folder names like
> $$UNINSTALLKB0526998$$ or folder containing installation files for any
> service pack or hot fix, these folder are hidden but after unhiding them
> can be safely deleted to free up space and speeding up ur pc.

Yep, most people will never need these. But don't do it right off the bat,
wait until you've run the system with the new SP's or hotfixes in place to
ensure you have no conflicts before deleting the backup. While rare,
complications can happen and the uninstall file is the only way out other
than doing a complete repair installation. Once satisfied that you aren't
encountering problems, these are safe to delete.

> remember to run defragmentor after doing all of these things.

Depends on user habit. Casual users will rarely find any performance benefit
after defragging, heavy users might.

> more windows trashing stores, coming soon,

You need to do more research and better understand what you are talking
about before doing so.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Muj

XP was never going to fit onto a drive that looked large with Win 3.11/95
running, and nobody with any sense at all would expect it.. but to make
space by taking away a load of backup files that enable XP to recover in a
way that the Win 9x cousins never could is idiocy at best..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

#3, the uninstall files can be safely deleted and that information is
readily available at various sites:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
Delete them as long as uninstallation of the update is not an issue.

#1 may or may not be needed. If you never have problems that require sfc
/scannow etc, get rid of them.
But if you ever use sfc /scannow, ServicePackFiles is essential.

Your information is incomplete and thus possibly dangerous.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"mujeebrm" <mujeebrm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> ==Windows Trash 2005==
>
> 1 : windows xp is already lot more than 1 gigs after install but i have
> found that it creates a lot trash to eat on our drives. such as when u
> install sp2 setup, it first extracts itself onto a separate partition and
> then launches its setup, that setup after copying its files into
> respective system folders of system also creates another totally
> unnecessary folder in windows dir with name -ServicePackFiles- in this
> folder u will find sp2 files just lying there eating on ur drive space and
> slowing ur computer. we can delete this ServicePackFiles folder from
> windows dir and free more than 500 megs of space.
>
> 2 : windows xp creates a bogus system folder namely -dllcache- in which it
> creates duplicate copies of almost every program which u happen to be
> using usually, that folder was more than 170 megs on my system partition,
> i deleted that folder and that one in no. 1 and got my system loading
> faster almost more than 3 seconds faster than previously with these two
> totally redundant folders eating up my drive space.
>
> 3: in windows xp u can safely delete folder names like
> $$UNINSTALLKB0526998$$ or folder containing installation files for any
> service pack or hot fix, these folder are hidden but after unhiding them
> can be safely deleted to free up space and speeding up ur pc.
>
> remember to run defragmentor after doing all of these things.
>
> more windows trashing stores, coming soon,
>

> _MrM_

rainy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

I just had a look in windows to find the uninstall files, but wonder if
there is a way to just remove sp1 uninstall files as there may come a time
when I want to remove sp2, just so I can use the repair option from my
Windows XP Pro CD.. I have tried before to use that option, but I get the
prompt that what I have on my computer is newer than what is on the cd.. any
help always appreciated.. thanks Rainy

Rainy wrote:
> I just had a look in windows to find the uninstall files, but wonder if
> there is a way to just remove sp1 uninstall files as there may come a time
> when I want to remove sp2, just so I can use the repair option from my
> Windows XP Pro CD.. I have tried before to use that option, but I get the
> prompt that what I have on my computer is newer than what is on the cd.. any
> help always appreciated.. thanks Rainy
>
> snip<

Rainy,
You need to slipstream SP2 with your copy of XP. There are a number
of sites that explain how to do this. Paul Thurrot's site has a good
explanation, but there are many others. Just google, slipstream SP2.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

gls858

Well put.