[SOLVED] Windows Update Error

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
I have been trying from 2 - 3 weeks to update my Operating System but Windows won't update! When I click check for updates it gives me error (0x80080005). I have tried everything on the internet and from Microsoft help forums but it not helps. Now, being tired of surfing the internet for a working fix, I am posting my problem here. Please help me I have been totally frustrated by this problem. Even a small help will be appreciated.

This is the link to the screenshot -
Windows Update Error

Solution
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
Current version is 2004

If you are anything earlier, the easiest upgrade choice could be to use a win 10 installer and upgrade to latest version, skipping the update that doesn't work now.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once installer is made, put it in the PC that refuses to update
open File explorer (win key + E)
find the usb directory and run setup.exe
it will offer to update the current PC.
Keep files and settings.
PC will restart and update WIn 10,. hopefully bypassing the problem, you have by essentially replacing windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose run...
Current version is 2004

If you are anything earlier, the easiest upgrade choice could be to use a win 10 installer and upgrade to latest version, skipping the update that doesn't work now.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Keep files and settings.
PC will restart and update WIn 10,. hopefully bypassing the problem, you have by essentially replacing windows.

Solution

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
right click start
choose run...
Current version is 2004

Keep files and settings.
I have a question - When I open the utility it shows two options upgrade this pc and the usb one. Can I use upgrade this pc option in the pc with the problem??

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could use media creation tool to update the PC but it would rely on the windows update process working, and since you been getting that error, its more reliable to create the USB on a working PC and use it, as then you only download it once, not more than once.

Sarthak Saini

Commendable
Jul 21, 2020
You could use media creation tool to update the PC but it would rely on the windows update process working, and since you been getting that error, its more reliable to create the USB on a working PC and use it, as then you only download it once, not more than once.
What are the steps after extracting the win 10 installer on USB. Also, is it safe ?? I mean will all my data be deleted after doing this??

Colif

Win 11 Master
Steps after extracting onto USB?
Keep files and settings.

All it does is updates the install, it leaves everything else in place. This process worked a week or so ago for someone else I offered it to.
there is always a small risk it won't work, so I would copy anything off PC you can't afford to lose, or upload it to onedrive. BUt 99% of the time it works fine. ALl you are doing is running an update.