[SOLVED] Windows update / reinstall failure (0xC1900101 0x20017) - hardware & software issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

field_studies

Distinguished
May 23, 2013
I haven't been able to install a major update to Windows 10 since version 1909, well over a year ago. At this point I've tried the usual Windows update route, the Windows Updater Tool, updating from an ISO file, and most recently attempting a clean reinstall from a bootable USB. All have failed.
(I've also run various install repair sequences in command line and the Windows Update troubleshooter, to no effect).

The most recurrent error code has been: 0xC1900101 0x20017

I think this problem (or at least my inability to resolve it) may be rooted in a Windows installation error that dates back to when I first got this tower +3 years ago: Windows came pre-installed on the (single-SSD) system. After installing system updates, I then added an SSD from my previous system. This older SSD still had my old Win10 install on it. I didn't think this would be an issue since my new system had already booted from its Win10 installation, but ever since, this system has required the old SSD to be connected in order to boot. To my inexpert eye, it seems my Windows install is now spread across both drives. And I've never been able to fix this.

In the past I've had periodic Windows boot-up crashes and have also been unable to access my BIOS, but over the last year both of these issues seem to have resolved themselves. However, as noted, all attempts to install new major Windows updates fail.

All my files are backed up, and at this point I'm willing to do a total system wipe / clean install. But I don't seem to be able to boot from the USB-drive I created w/ Windows Media Creation tool (20H2). When I set this as the boot priority in my BIOS, I get a boot cycle: motherboard splash screen to reboot, and repeat.

I'm pushing past the limits of my computer expertise; any help would be really appreciated!

Solution
Manual, - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350m-ds3h_e.pdf
Gigabyte bios have a useful choice called Boot Override, it will let you boot from usb 1 time and then the next time it reverts to defaults. Useful for installing windows. (Its on page 36 of manual)

put usb into pc
go into bios
usb shouldn't be in the boot order, should just be the ssd/windows boot manager choices
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick the USB from the list
PC will restart and boot off the USB

you might need to use this twice since you want to wipe ssd first

follow steps above, wipe both drives, remove one and reinstall win 10.

your link to photos doesn't work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

Need to get it to boot the USB, not run startup repair. If you tell me model I might be able to find a way.

I would erase both ssd
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk".

Repeat for both ssd

Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

then I would turn PC off and remove all ssd except the one you want windows on.

then I would clean isntall on it- follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

then only after windows 10 boots off ssd a few times after install, would I re add the other ssd. It being blank should stop the previous problem occuring, you just need to recreate a partition on it to use it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Manual, - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350m-ds3h_e.pdf
Gigabyte bios have a useful choice called Boot Override, it will let you boot from usb 1 time and then the next time it reverts to defaults. Useful for installing windows. (Its on page 36 of manual)

put usb into pc
go into bios
usb shouldn't be in the boot order, should just be the ssd/windows boot manager choices
go to save & exit screen
choose boot override
pick the USB from the list
PC will restart and boot off the USB

you might need to use this twice since you want to wipe ssd first

follow steps above, wipe both drives, remove one and reinstall win 10.

your link to photos doesn't work.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
normal boot it loads everything one item at a time
fast boot it loads everything at once.

it shouldn't make any difference I don't think. Secure boot would more likely stop you but we try Boot over ride first.

I have a Gigabyte board, as soon as I saw what you had I knew where to look. I haven't had to use menu myself yet.

field_studies

Distinguished
May 23, 2013
I'm afraid I'm still stuck:

I tried Boot Overide as you suggested; the UEFI USB partition is selectable there. But choosing that option just led the system to but into Windows as usual, seemingly bypassing the USB again.

Following advice from another forum, I disabled the CSM (Compatibility Support Model, which apparently can interfere with UEFI booting), but again to no effect.

I'm not sure where to find the Secure Boot setting; the manual doesn't mention that term at all, and I don't see it in the BIOS UI.

EDIT: Interestingly, with CSM disabled, my boot options--in regular boot order options or in Boot Override--are drastically reduced, from all drives to just two: my old drive with the previous sytem's system install and the USB UEFI partition. Does that (along with the fact that Windows boots as normal) suggest that the Windows install on the drive that came with this machine is entirely being bypassed?

EDIT #2: Oh wow, answered my question in Edit #1 -- I unplugged the system drive that came with this system, and it booted just fine, everything appearing as normal. So (for the last 2+ years) I've been booting off of my previous system's Windows install, it seems? I'm baffled ... how to move forward now?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
start pc, go to logon screen
open the power menu on bottom right
while holding left shift, click the restart button

this restarts win 10 in advanced startup
put USB in slot
choose Use Device menu
pick USB from list
PC should restart and use USB

If that still doesn't work, you sure you made the installer right?

field_studies

Distinguished
May 23, 2013
start pc, go to logon screen
open the power menu on bottom right
while holding left shift, click the restart button

this restarts win 10 in advanced startup
put USB in slot
choose Use Device menu
pick USB from list
PC should restart and use USB

If that still doesn't work, you sure you made the installer right?

I'm afraid this still isn't working. I can follow your instructions all the way, and the USB-UEFI partition appears as an option, but choosing it just boots the computer into the standard Windows login screen, as usual.

As to whether I've made the installer correctly--I've wondered the same thing. I've done it twice, now, both times following the instructions (and checked just now against these directions https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...-media-uefi-support#create_windows10_uefi_mct ... followed except for the "optional" step of deselecting the "Use the recommended options for this PC option").

It looks like this:

View: https://imgur.com/a/IQvS6wA

(in this image, my 'new' system drive remains unplugged; my 'old' system drive has assumed the "C:" designation in its absence. drives Q: and S: are just non-system data drives)

field_studies

Distinguished
May 23, 2013
I just tried both those things. Created a new installer using another computer on a different USB drive ... even plugging it in to different USB ports on my target computer and trying to boot to USB using various methods (shift-restart; boot override) .

Afraid same results all around. At this point it think I've tried dozens of different combinations, attempts to boot from USB, and not a singe one has worked. I'm stumped!

Status
Not open for further replies.