Windows vs. Ubuntu: Dell's New Confusing Take

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Last night, I went looking for a laptop with two internal hard drive bays and managed to look through Toshiba, Aver and finally, Dell. Their store is littered with so much stuff I'm amazed the standard user manages to get through it all with a product.

Dell, keep things VERY simple, please!

P.s. Why not offer the user BOTH

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Sigh, I wish people would realize that Linux is becoming easier to use, and you don't need to be a programmer or a 1337 h4x0rz in order to use it. Ubuntu is very easy to use, and has plenty of software available. It's suitable for the average user. Oh well, what does Dell know anyways.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Actually, for the first time in a long time, i am happy with Dell trying to get Linux into the hands of the public, its just that they're making themselves look really dumb in the process.

[citation][nom]carlhenry[/nom]i guess DELL has an option. for example the PC that has linux in it is $500. if you'll choose windows, they'll charge +$250.[/citation]

Not really, Dell pays Microsoft for an unlimited amount of licenses for Windows, but it comes nowhere near close to +$250.00 per PC

G

Hahaha... I will buy the Linux one for the cheaper price, and then wipe it and install Windows!!!

sneaky jedi

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
So if you want Ubuntu they deduct the price of the windows OS? at least they should. Wish they had that as an option when I bought my laptop 2 years ago, all I did was uninstall vista and dual boot XP and Ubuntu anyways

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Yes, using a newb operating system does indeed make you a newb.[/citation]

So Windows 7 ULT x64 is noob now??

And I guess the the more consumerist version of linux is l33t?

On a more serious note, they should have a linux based kiosk-style OS. You know the kind who only have firefox and a few SIMPLE apps on a simple background with no options whatsoever. It would be great for elderly people or other computer illiterate.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]So Windows 7 ULT x64 is noob now??And I guess the the more consumerist version of linux is l33t? On a more serious note, they should have a linux based kiosk-style OS. You know the kind who only have firefox and a few SIMPLE apps on a simple background with no options whatsoever. It would be great for elderly people or other computer illiterate.[/citation]
They have that, the netbook version (the system options are still there but they're kind of hidden). It's actually pretty nice as a touchscreen interface as well.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I say Windows XP cause Ubuntu just like every other Linux Distribution is boring useless operating system. Who wants to spend time compiling drivers or kernel everytime you need to install something which should be simple process. I'd rather spend that time doing programming in .NET or whatever and make something useful. Linux hardcore people should go to psychologist first cause they have serious issues...

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Linux = Open Source
Open Source != Linux[/citation]
2x2 = 4
4 != 2x2
Wait... what ;) ?

Why, yes - identity IS indeed a symmetric relation. I'm glad you asked.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Can Ubuntu run Crysis? Nope
Can Ubuntu run Visual Studio 2010? Nope
Can Ubuntu run Adobe Photoshop CS5? Nope

Is Ubuntu good for high and mid end systems? Nope
Is Ubunty good for low end systems? Yes, at least junk hardware can be used for a few things

G

You all just keep away from my OpenSuse KDE, its mine, all mine!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
When our Linux server was installed, our supplier told us to NEVER get on the internet with it, that Linux was defenseless and could get infected very easily.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Should say :
Use windows if,
A: You want to play any current retail PC games.
B: If you like MS office
C: You like to have to majority of useful and easy to install programs available to you to use.
D: Don't want to piss you wife off for getting rid of windows on her PC.

Use Linux if:
A: Your a computer nerd.
B: Enjoy figuring out how to add sources and such.
C: Love the command line.
D: Are a rebel, and want to spit in the face of MS.
E: Are cheap and your only PC is a Dell opti plex 270.
F: If you think you will be more secure.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Sigh, I wish people would realize that Linux is becoming easier to use, and you don't need to be a programmer or a 1337 h4x0rz in order to use it. Ubuntu is very easy to use, and has plenty of software available. It's suitable for the average user. Oh well, what does Dell know anyways.[/citation]
Linux HAS come along way since my adoption of it years ago. However, I recently bought a netbook that I erased the stinky-swiss-cheese-version 7 and installed Ubuntu...first thing I knew I had to do was use the good ol'ndiswrapper to get my wireless working. I will admit, the information is more readily available for that sort of thing now than it was years ago...but I'm guessing it may not fly with most people...but it seems that even if there are tutorials/articles out there that literally SPOON-FEED-YOU on how to do it...it would still be "to much of a hassle" for many. SAD

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Can Ubuntu run Crysis? NopeCan Ubuntu run Visual Studio 2010? NopeCan Ubuntu run Adobe Photoshop CS5? NopeIs Ubuntu good for high and mid end systems? NopeIs Ubunty good for low end systems? Yes, at least junk hardware can be used for a few things[/citation]
Pretty short-minded of you here. Linux is not meant for gaming. Many programmers that I know and heard don't use VS 2010...they prefer their GCC and don't need intelli-sense for help. If you are referring to .NET programming...I don't consider that widespread yet enough to warrant anything special. Photoshop CS5 I will give you that since it is a great piece of software. There is Ubuntu server that works just fine. So I wonder, what makes you think it isn't feasible for high and mid-end systems???

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]I wonder how many hours of research went into that comparison chart.[/citation]
Let me take a guess. How about 0 hours and a lot of Market Development Funds (MDF) from Microsoft.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Many programmers that I know and heard don't use VS 2010...they prefer their GCC and don't need intelli-sense for help. If you are referring to .NET programming...[/citation]
GCC and .NET have nothing to do with one another.

GCC is a compiler which compiles the code (and links it if you request). Visual Studio is an Integrated Development Environment (it not only links and compiles certain code, but also lets you develop it). There is a huge difference. The comparison is better made to Eclipse. I won't bother starting an Eclipse vs VS war...

If you write software in a .NET language(C++/C#/ASP/etc), there is nothing better than or even on par with VS, period. So not having it in Linux is a huge deal, but generally if you are programming on Linux, you probably don't care much for the proprietary nature of .NET. It's a culture thing. Then again, if you are applying for a job at RedHat, you probably shouldn't hate open source and if you are applying for a job at Microsoft, you probably shouldn't only do open source. So it makes sense.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
As a multiplat programmer, I'm kinda amused at the war that's going on this page. I'm also a heavy Windows user and use open-source programs like Virtualdub, Audacity, CDEX, and a lot of GIMP-derived programs, so that Dell statement is about as amusing.

DonnieK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]One OS isn't 'safer' than another just because no one uses it.[/citation]
Surprisingly, this is incorrect. If you read Barabasi's analysis of cell phone virus percolation, this is precisely his conclusion! If you don't have enough market share you're very significantly safer due to secondary effects which he demonstrates. It's a really interesting paper. Check it out in Science, vol. 394, from 2009.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Funny!
[citation][nom]jimslaid2[/nom]Should say :Use windows if,A: You want to play any current retail PC games.B: If you like MS officeC: You like to have to majority of useful and easy to install programs available to you to use.D: Don't want to piss you wife off for getting rid of windows on her PC.Use Linux if:A: Your a computer nerd.B: Enjoy figuring out how to add sources and such.C: Love the command line.D: Are a rebel, and want to spit in the face of MS.E: Are cheap and your only PC is a Dell opti plex 270.F: If you think you will be more secure.[/citation]

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Do you play games? WINDOWS
Do you NEVER play games? UBUNTU

Do you own an ATI card? WINDOWS
do you like free software? UBUNTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS