Question Windows won't boot after changing BIOS order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2021
Hello everyone..I was helping my cousin with his computer over skype...and now his computer won't boot. 🤦‍♂️
So he bought an older cheaper computer with windows 10 that had an HDD in it and wanted to put a SSD in there instead that he bought.
Here's what we did.
-connect new SSD and format it
-Used a cloning software to clone the old HDD and mirror that onto the new SSD.
-Unplugged old HDD and tried booting with the SSD to insure everything was good. (it worked)
-Wiped the HDD using command prompt and then reformatted that hard drive.
-Once again restarted the computer to insure everything was fine. (booted successfully).
-Went into the BIOS and changed the boot order so that it would try to boot from the SSD first.

After doing that last step the computer won't boot and goes to the blue recovery screen.
I've tried changing the boot order, completely unplugging the HDD, switching the SSD to the other SATA port, and booting from specific SATA ports in the BIOS, nothing worked.

Besides getting a windows copy and reinstalling windows, is there anything else worth trying? I read somewhere that i might need to disable some of the boot options in the BIOS but that's out of my knowledge and I'd need someone to tell me what to disable if that's something i should try.
Attached is a picture of the BIOS..it isn't in the order i left it in, he's been messing with it and doesn't know what he's doing.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 9, 2022
Hello everyone..I was helping my cousin with his computer over skype...and now his computer won't boot. 🤦‍♂️
So he bought an older cheaper computer with windows 10 that had an HDD in it and wanted to put a SSD in there instead that he bought.
Here's what we did.
-Unplugged old HDD and tried booting with the SSD to insure everything was good. (it worked)
-Once again restarted the computer to insure everything was fine. (booted successfully).
-Went into the BIOS and changed the boot order so that it would try to boot from the SSD first.

After doing that last step the computer won't boot and goes to the blue recovery screen.
I've tried changing the boot order, completely unplugging the HDD, switching the SSD to the other SATA port, and booting from specific SATA ports in the BIOS, nothing worked.

Besides getting a windows copy and reinstalling windows, is there anything else worth trying? I read somewhere that i might need to disable some of the boot options in the BIOS but that's out of my knowledge and I'd need someone to tell me what to disable if that's something i should try.
Attached is a picture of the BIOS..it isn't in the order i left it in, he's been messing with it and doesn't know what he's doing.
You cloned the boot drive from HD to ssd sounds like you cloned everything but boot files and then wiped the boot files to me .. do fresh install on ssd use OneDrive to replace personals

Apr 9, 2022
Here's what we did.

[/QUOTE so you have 2 drives ?if you wiped HD and then it still booted obviously from ssd .why are you trying to boot on a now empty drive ? I'm so confused with what you are talking about or even trying to accomplish

Status
Not open for further replies.