Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over W2K.
Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is attached
to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP, or
the upgrade version?

Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000 license.
It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.

--LB

"Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
W2K.
> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
attached
> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
or
> the upgrade version?
>
> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In addition to EULA restrictions, if it's an OEM version of W2K, more than
likely it is BIOS liked and tied to the original hardware.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
> W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
> attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
> version XP, or the upgrade version?
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks, but
do not have the COA stickers?

"Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
> As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000 license.
> It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
> resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
>
> --LB
>
> "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
>> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
>> 2000
>> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
> W2K.
>> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
> attached
>> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
> or
>> the upgrade version?
>>
>> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If it was a retail version you can transfer the license as long as it
doesn't exist in two places at the same time. But if the OS was
preinstalled by the manufacturer, I'd bet good money it's OEM. Do you have
the manual? If it says in there something along the lines of "only for
distribution with a new PC," it's OEM.

> What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks,
but
> do not have the COA stickers?
>

> "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to
this.
> > As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000
license.
> > It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits
the
> > resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
> >
> > --LB
> >
> > "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
> >> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
> >> 2000
> >> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
> > W2K.
> >> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
> > attached
> >> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version
XP,
> > or
> >> the upgrade version?
> >>
> >> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Be sure to advise the prospective buyers that the COA sticker is not
available. The license for a retail copy of Windows is transferable as long
as you have deleted the installation from your machine.

"Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
> What about if it was not oem. If I have hologramed windows 2000 disks,
> but do not have the COA stickers?
>

> "Linda B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.
>> As far as Microsoft is concerned, no, you can not resell the 2000
>> license.
>> It is an OEM product, and the OEM EULA applies to it, which prohibits the
>> resale of the license without the accompanying hardware.
>>
>> --LB
>>
>> "Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
>>> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
>>> 2000
>>> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
>> W2K.
>>> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
>> attached
>>> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version
>>> XP,
>> or
>>> the upgrade version?
>>>
>>> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Mike;
The CDs without the COA are nothing more than poor quality coasters.
You need the CD, Product Key, COA etc to transfer a valid license.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> Let me warn you right now, you're going to get a zillion replies to this.

I happily stand corrected. :)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No - you cannot transfer the license.
Versions of Windows that ship pre-installed on a computer (like from Dell)
are OEM copies, and carry special licensing restrictions. Part of the
license dictates that the license is "married" to that computer for the rest
of its functional life. It cannot be transferred to another machine.

--
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
MS-MVP - Windows Setup / Deployment

Mike wrote:
> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows
> 2000 pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean
> install over W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What
> if the COA is attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter
> if I bought the Full version XP, or the upgrade version?

Do you want to know legally, or what you can get away with?

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you bought the Upgrade version of XP and used the Windows 2000 CD to
satisfy the request for a qualifying product when you did the clean install
with the XP CD then the Windows 2000 license is tied to the computer because
you had to use it to satisfy the XP install.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
W2K.
> Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
attached
> to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full version XP,
or
> the upgrade version?
>
> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You need to consult the specific terms of the EULA that was supplied with
the DELL and with the version of Windows that came with it, but most
packages such as this tie the software to the hardware, and you are not
entitled to sell the software separately.

If you bought the upgrade version of XP then the original software and the
upgrade are now considered a single licence, and while you continue to use
that version of XP you could not sell W2K (the 'qualifying product')
separately. This will be set out in the XP EULA.

Whether you sell the licence or give it away for free makes no difference.
--
"Mike" <mrfaber@att.net> wrote in message
> Lets say I bought a Dell computer that came preinstalled with Windows 2000
> pro. Next, lets say I bought Windows XP, and did a clean install over
> W2K. Can I sell/donate the old windows 2000 license? What if the COA is
> attached to the computer chassis? Does it matter if I bought the Full
> version XP, or the upgrade version?
>
> Mike

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Windows 2000 would more than likely be OEM which means it probably won't
work on anything other than the original hardware (in any case OEM licence
is not intended to be used on hardware other than the original machine) so
short answer is "No".

For upgrading/installing XP you will need a previous licenced version of
Windows which qualifies as the upgrade product to upgrade to XP with if you
use the upgrade versopm, however OEM Windows 2000 (that came on your PC
originally) mayy or may not qualify as a upgrade product.

And you'd need that earlier version copy everytime you had to reinstall XP,
so if you did sell the 2000 licence/disk you'd be in trouble.

You'd be better using the Full version.