Windows Xp date n time keeps resetting

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I've been facing this problem for 2 weeks now...the pc date & time keeps resetting every time i boot the computer..
I've replaced the cmos battery with two different ones,configured the time by placing the jumper over pin 2 & 3..detached every wire in the cpu,cleaned the cabinet properly and attached'em carefully and tightly..i've tried setting the date & time by pressing F2 and entering bios setup..performed full pc scan in safe mode with MALWAREBYTE'S ANTI MALWARE...fixed the registry with registrybooster...the timezone is also correct...but still the date nd time changes on every reboot...

Please help...it's quite frustrating having to change the date and time again and again EVERYDAY

Solution
@brollyjin

After doing some research regarding your Intel DG41RQ motherboard there are quite a few BIOS flashes available for that board since it's first release, and some were important, I really suggest you get over your fear of Flashing the BIOS, educate yourself on How to do it, and, do it.

FYI: You wrote DG41RQ1, there is no reference to the 1 on the end, you search for DG41RQ in Intel support downloads to find the BIOS files for you motherboard, and apparently the Flashing Instructions are actually within the downloads themselves.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Disable the world clock setting . Set it yourself

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I dont get it....how can i disable the world clock?? Are you saying that i should not use time synchronisation and set the time myself instead???

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Try this.

Right click over the time in the lower right.
Select Adjust date/time

Select internet time tab / change settings

Uncheck synchronize with an Internet time server / OK

You computer has an internal clock. It doesn't need to sync with the internet.

You can always go back and change it.

By the way, what does the date and time change to each time? Is it always the same?

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

just go in the square that has the time and change the numbers

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I did that...i unchecked the "automatically synchronize with internet"....and set the date and time manually....but the same result...after rebooting the date and time were reset...and yes the date always reset to a same date...i:e, 01:01:2008...

From everything you have done so far, unfortunately it sounds like your M/B is giving up on you, however sometimes you can reflash the BIOS even with the same BIOS it presently is flashed with, and it may work, but it would be better with the last BIOS flash available, but if that doesn't work, it's time to replace it.

Under certain circumstances electrical surges and such can cause the BIOS to loose some important data, that changing a CMOS battery or clearing and resetting the BIOS settings will not resolve because the original file is corrupted.

Read the websites instructions carefully regarding flashing your BIOS, make sure you fully understand how to do it if you have to read it over and over make sure you understand the instructions.

I usually make more than 1 BIOS file to flash if a few are offered just in case the flash fails to take, you'll have a backup to flash.

The most important thing to remember if your flash fails do not turn the computer off, make sure you receive a successful flash confirmation before turning the computer off.

PM if you need help or you do not understand something. Ryan

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Thanks...i will try to flash the bios carefully...btw,will reinstalling the os solve this resetting problm???

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

How old is the computer? Before flashing the bios I would maybe try re-installing windows first. Backup all your data first. Messing with the bios can be tricky.

If re-installling and flashing the bios don't work is it possible to return it for a replacement?

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Everything in my cpu is 2 yr old...i'll try reinstalling the os...i think it's still under warranty period,so i'll send it for replacement later...but first let me try reinstalling the os,,and will post back the result..

And can you tell me what if i leave the problem as it is....i mean it only takes 2 minutes to set the correct time...will leaving this, cause any trouble to my pc???

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

I dont think its still under warranty being 2 years old.
Do you have an installation Disk or a repair disk? If you can just do a repair try that first before a clean install maybe it will fix the problem.
No, I don't see how that would cause any damage to the computer. Leaving it alone maybe will fix it self. Just mess up your appointments. keep me posted please

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Okay here it is...

i reinstalled the os..(did it before you posted your comment on repairing)...and the same result...
here are some things i noticed...

1).while installing winXP,when it showed the time options during installation,it was showing the correct date(not time)...

2).on every reboot,even if the date and time are reset(date is always 1-jan-2008).... the timezone remains correct..??why??

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

the vbat reading is showing 0.272v(current.min and max)