Windows xp does not see my sata drive

Orville1

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hello, I've just upgraded my computer with new mb, cpu, video card, and optical drive. Windows does not boot. Windows does not find my re-installed sata drive, although it finds my older ATA drive. Operating system is on the D: drive. I can boot with a boot cd, and it finds all my partitions, and files, but can't boot from the hard drive.

open the bios setup and set the boot priority, check to see if the bios setup is detecting the hard drives. Try plugging the drive into another SATA port.
The motherboard manual will have the bios setup instructions.
you might want to list your hardware configuration.

Orville1

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

SATA drive is set to be the first boot. BIOS detects the SATA Drive, and the IDE drive. Another port doesn't help. BIOS is set to IDE. I'm not sure what you mean by the Hardware configuration?

Orville1

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Booting from the XP CD does not find the SATA drive to do an upgrade or a new install? I've been told that I need to reformat, and do a new install due to different chipset drivers. That'll wipe out all of the files. I do have them on a backup drive, but I'd rather not reformat if there's another way?

Orville1

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I did do a slipstream install on different computer several years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with that. Am I not mistaken that Windows 7 would find the SATA drive without going through the slipstream thing. It might be a lot simpler to just buy a copy of Windows 7 which is what is on the computer where I'm typing this.