WinXP Pro Boot Problem

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Hi Guys,

Recently my confuser has started to play silly buggers during WIN XP Pro start-up. The BIOS boots OK and I then get the black background Windows screen with the moving dots while it gets ready to muck me around for another day. Now the problem is this, the nVidia GT6800's fan, which has been running on high during boot reaches the point where it slows down to idle speed (which it does) as the screen goes black (sometimes with a mouse pointer, sometimes not) as Win XP starts, but instead of the Welcome screen coming up the screen stays black, the fan speeds up again and that's it, nada, just a blank screen and no mouse pointer. Windows fails to load at this point and all I can do is a hard reboot, whereupon it usually starts up fine (though sometimes it requires a third try). I have just done a clean Windows install and it seemed to fix it, however the problem has now come back. Could it be graphics card related? Power supply maybe? I have an Antec Truepower 380watt, which should be enough. Games etc all run fine with the card BTW.

Anybody else have this problem or heard of it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Son_of_Blob

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
DAD!!!!!!

Now I know what's happened, my computer has turned to the dark side.

BTW I and the blobettes have all missed you, along with our cousin, The Man Who Would Be Blob.