bartaz1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2001
I have just installed Win XP Evalution copy , Build 2600. Everything seems to work fine until I try to shutdown the machine. The P.C just keeps restarting and wont shutdown. This is the second time I have installed XP and the second time it has happend. Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me mental.

G

Hi,

I read this from another forum and hope this helps you. I have not tried it since I have not had this problem.

"When Windows XP won’t powerdown automatically, the APM/NT Legacy Power Node may not be enabled. To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown problem."

plbass

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
my computer restarts when i want to shut it down with the apm/nt legacy mode enabled. i want the computer to be able to turn off the power by itself like win98 but when i enable apm power management to shut down, it restarts rather than turn off. if i don't turn apm on, then i always have to manually turn off the computer by pressing the power button when it says that it's safe to turn off the computer

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, only if you boot my Hard drive!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i had this issue recently, but with w2k. seems my new mobo doesn't quite like my firewire card :frown: soon as i took it out, powered down just like it's suppose to. try taking out a card at a time and see.

plbass

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
did you have to press the power button or did it turn off totally? cuz it powers down perfectly on mine if i don't have apm on. i have a via mvp3 chipset, btw

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, only if you boot my Hard drive!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
never got to try it just under apm (hehe, very unstable). before the only way to get it to shut off completely was select shut it down, then hold the power button (on the case) to shut it down before it reboot. i'm running kt266a chipset.

TRENDING THREADS