[SOLVED] Wired Asus ZenWifiAX Node Slow?

Mar 23, 2022
I've had for a few months the ZenWifiAX router, with mixed results. To improve my connection, I did a hardwiring between my both nodes, and the satellite is working at 50% the speed using Speedtest (ISP provides 200MB/200MB, and satellite is giving a Speedtest result of 100MB/100MB). Usually when using the 5GHz-2 backhaul I would use the "optimize" feature and this would improve the overall speed, however it no longer works since it's a wired connection.

Any ideas what I could do to look to improve the speed? Standing about 3 feet from each node when conducting a test using an iPhone 13 Pro. Have run net spot in my home to confirm channels do not overlap with neighbors (using channel 5 for 2.4 GHz and 48 for 5GHz).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Having bad cables when you terminate them yourself is a very common problem. Even someone who makes cables all day long will make bad one now and then. The problem with testing unit home user can afford is they only test basic connectivity. They have no way to tell if for example you use one of the correct color patterns so that the pairs are kept together. They also do show if you can pass actual data they only test is you can transmit power to light a led over them.

Be very sure you have the correct ends for the cable you are using. Stranded wire uses different connectors than solid core wire. If you are using fake cable like CCA or even worse that flat cable toss it in the trash. Even with the special ends you...

kanewolf

Titan
I've had for a few months the ZenWifiAX router, with mixed results. To improve my connection, I did a hardwiring between my both nodes, and the satellite is working at 50% the speed using Speedtest (ISP provides 200MB/200MB, and satellite is giving a Speedtest result of 100MB/100MB). Usually when using the 5GHz-2 backhaul I would use the "optimize" feature and this would improve the overall speed, however it no longer works since it's a wired connection.

Any ideas what I could do to look to improve the speed? Standing about 3 feet from each node when conducting a test using an iPhone 13 Pro. Have run net spot in my home to confirm channels do not overlap with neighbors (using channel 5 for 2.4 GHz and 48 for 5GHz).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sounds like bad cabling. Are there wall plates? Direct cable? Homemade terminations ?

Mar 23, 2022
Sounds like bad cabling. Are there wall plates? Direct cable? Homemade terminations ?
It seems to be a faulty cable. No wall plates, but it is a direct cable that I terminated myself. Undid the terminations and redid, with same results (I have pass-through terminals so I'm sure they're correctly done, as well as a tester where I verified correct terminals on both ends.

I have another cable which runs the same distance and it does give the full 200/200 bandwidth. So it seems that tomorrow I'll be replacing the cable. Any idea if this is normal to happen?

Having bad cables when you terminate them yourself is a very common problem. Even someone who makes cables all day long will make bad one now and then. The problem with testing unit home user can afford is they only test basic connectivity. They have no way to tell if for example you use one of the correct color patterns so that the pairs are kept together. They also do show if you can pass actual data they only test is you can transmit power to light a led over them.

Be very sure you have the correct ends for the cable you are using. Stranded wire uses different connectors than solid core wire. If you are using fake cable like CCA or even worse that flat cable toss it in the trash. Even with the special ends you need for those cables they tend to have lots of problems.

In general I always use commerical cables unless I need very specific lengths. The ones I run in the wall I always use keystone jacks since those tend to be easy to correct a wire issue.

Solution