[SOLVED] Wired connected is lost when Mac laptop unplugs cable

Oct 14, 2020
Hello!

I'm currently having a problem where my wired connect is lost when my colleague unplugs her dongle with ethernet connected. We're currently an iMac, a PC and the MacBook Pro or Air connected to the same switch, TP Link TL-SG105 - both the iMac and the PC loses the wired connection when the MacBook Pro/air unplugs the dongle with ethernet cable.

I sometimes get the wired connection back when she plugs the dongle with the ethernet cable back into her computer. I've tried restarting the switch which fixes the issue for a few minutes, before dropping the connection again.

The switch is connected to the router we got from our Internet Provider.

Thanks in advance for any information/help!

Solution
My thought is an IP address conflict.

What may be happening is that when she unplugs wired the laptop reverts to wireless and the wireless IP address is the same as your computer's IP address. Do you know if your network environment is using any static IP addresses or all DHCP IP addresses?

Use admin rights to login to the router. There should be some listing of all network connected devices. Each device should be listed with a name, IP address, and MAC. Check the allowed DHCP IP adddress range and also look for any reserved/assigned Static IP addresses.

Start with only your computer on line. Then start her laptop via wired (dongle) and check the IP addresses. Then disconnect her laptop's dongle and again observe the IP...

Ralston18

Titan
This TP-Link switch:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/509813/Tp-Link-Tl-Sg105.html#manual

ISP?

Make and model ISP router?

Also is there a modem?

Here is my understanding (line diagram) of your network setup ( where ----> indicating an Ethernet cable/connection):

ISP ----> modem ---->[WAN port] router [LAN port] ----> your TP LINK switch ----> computers (PC, iMac, MacBook, etc..)

Note: Sometimes the modem and router are combined.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

Any reason(s) for not connecting computers directly to the router?

Any changes to the LED lights on the switch as you plug in and unplug network devices?

Oct 14, 2020
Hello Ralston,

My provider is Stofa (ISP from Denmark) and the modem/router provided by them is a Technicolor TC7230.s

ISP ----> modem/router ----> your TP LINK switch ----> computers (PC, iMac, MacBook, etc..)

We're working in an office, where there are 10+ computers, so there isn't any free slots in the router.
The LEDs are constant with a slight blink with a stable connection and constant with a bit more flickering/blinking without connection.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is an IP address conflict.

What may be happening is that when she unplugs wired the laptop reverts to wireless and the wireless IP address is the same as your computer's IP address. Do you know if your network environment is using any static IP addresses or all DHCP IP addresses?

Use admin rights to login to the router. There should be some listing of all network connected devices. Each device should be listed with a name, IP address, and MAC. Check the allowed DHCP IP adddress range and also look for any reserved/assigned Static IP addresses.

Start with only your computer on line. Then start her laptop via wired (dongle) and check the IP addresses. Then disconnect her laptop's dongle and again observe the IP addresses.

On both computers, your computer and her laptop, run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.

Solution