Question Wired Speeds capped at 100mbps but can get up to 500mbps via wi-fi.

Cary Hawkins

Distinguished
May 29, 2015
I have AT&T fiber line gigabit speeds, with a gigabit switch and all new cat6 cables everywhere. I cannot get above 100mbps with my PC via the wired connection, but can get 200-500mbps using a wireless adapter.

I have tried plugging several components into my modem directly. My PS5 gets around 900mbps speeds when directly plugged in and around 650 when wireless (it's in the same room as the modem). My PC is downstairs. I took my PC upstairs to plug it in directly, and it still caps at 100mbps, so I think the limiter is the PC itself.

My mobo is a MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 which should be capable of gigabit speeds and then some.

Under Network and Sharing Center > Configure > Advanced > Speed & Duplex, I have selected Auto Negotiation and tried other speeds too. No change.

I've updated and reinstalled drivers to make sure that wasn't it. I've used new cat6 cables, again that worked on my ps5 but not my PC. I've scoured the internet for solutions. I have found nothing that helps. I'm at my wit's end.

What could be limiting my PC to 100mbps?

kanewolf

Titan
I have AT&T fiber line gigabit speeds, with a gigabit switch and all new cat6 cables everywhere. I cannot get above 100mbps with my PC via the wired connection, but can get 200-500mbps using a wireless adapter.

I have tried plugging several components into my modem directly. My PS5 gets around 900mbps speeds when directly plugged in and around 650 when wireless (it's in the same room as the modem). My PC is downstairs. I took my PC upstairs to plug it in directly, and it still caps at 100mbps, so I think the limiter is the PC itself.

My mobo is a MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 which should be capable of gigabit speeds and then some.

Under Network and Sharing Center > Configure > Advanced > Speed & Duplex, I have selected Auto Negotiation and tried other speeds too. No change.

I've updated and reinstalled drivers to make sure that wasn't it. I've used new cat6 cables, again that worked on my ps5 but not my PC. I've scoured the internet for solutions. I have found nothing that helps. I'm at my wit's end.

What could be limiting my PC to 100mbps?
You have a bad cable somewhere OR you are connected to a network switch that only supports 100Mbit.
99.99% is bad cabling. Especially if you have any in-wall cabling.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's quite a few discussions on 2.5gbe issues with 400 series boards.

If issue persists using same network cable used on ps5, try update motherboard's firmware (bios).

Can also contact MSI and see what advice they give on what to do.

TRENDING THREADS