Wireless-AC 7265 vs Advanced-N 6205

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
Alright guys i'm having an issue with the wireless in the new laptop I just purchased. It's a Toshiba Satellite Radius.

Question - If the wireless router does not have wireless-ac, does it make a performance difference with a device that has wireless-n?

Here's why im running speedtest.net on this new laptop and im getting speeds slower than my older Lenovo L520. Why is my older laptop with Advanced-N getting way faster speeds than my new laptop this is really bothering me.

The Advanced-N 6205 is a 2x2 MIMO device.

I can't find info on the AC 765; do you mean 7265? That's a 2x2 device, so should perform the same as the 6205 on an 802.11n AP.

Equivalent AC & N adapters should perform similarly when connected to an 802.11n AP.

Are you doing the speedtests from the same location and at a similar time of day? Can you post the results?

Sometimes antenna design can make a difference; you often get better speeds with the laptop facing one way rather than another.

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015

Damn I messed up accidentally pressed that you posted the solution lol ill get some pictures of the speedtest for you. I was choosing the same server at the same time I mean a few seconds apart.

Make sure you're not doing them at the same time, otherwise it's pretty random as to which gets more of the data - wait for it to finish first.

Speedtest should have a 'share' button; use that.

Moving it even a foot or two can completely change the performance in some (fairly rare) cases.

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
This is from the Wireless-AC

This is from Advanced-N

As you can see the AC card is inconsistent and it got close that time but N always stays consistent and faster than the AC shouldn't the AC be fast since its newer?

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
The router is a Motorola SBG6580

I'm testing both laptops from my room about a wall & 8 feet from router.

I know the router is not the best I have had trouble with it for a while now but my only frustration is that the older laptop is outperforming the networking capabilities of a newer computer.
Thats why I thought it would be because the older laptop has N and the router is for N.

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
Yes I have them both right next to each other facing the same place way.

I really like this laptop it has some nice features and it wasn't that expensive.

Do you know what form factor the Inter Wireless AC - 7265 is? Maybe a different card I can replace it with by a better manufacturer.