Wireless adapter connected but no internet

mahnac72

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello,
I have an ADLS wireless router that is setup and works fine with a laptop via a wireless configuration. I now would like to create a second wireless connection to a desktop. The operating systems on both machines is XP SP3. So far the desktop is installed with drivers of the wireless USB device and the desktop and Wireless Router are connected. I'm suspecting the configuration of the ADSL wireless router and a Wireless USB adaptor may not be configured the same so therefore there is a wireless connection between the two devices but no data is able to pass between the two devices therefore not allowing internet connectivity. Is this possible. The encryption needs to be checked and such..

RealBeast

Titan
I am assuming that what you have is a laptop with a wireless Internet connection that you want to share with a second wireless network using the USB adapter. You can do that by enabling ICS (Internet connection Sharing) in the network adapter with the Internet connection OR by bridging the two adapters, which does present potential security issues. Encryption isn't an issue usually with these set ups.

mahnac72

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

My apologies for not listing the hardware related to the configuration correctly.
Internet access is via an Access Point. A Siemens Giga762SX WLAN dsl unit wired directly to a copper incoming telephone line with a DSL line from our local Telkom ISP provider. (So the Internet connections are via this unit but wireless to the computers.)

The initial wireless connection, created on the laptop with an XP OS, SP3 was relatively straight forward, using the laptops wireless adaptor. I found the Siemens Giga762SX user manual rather confusing jumping from within a topic to various parts of the manual that after a while I just closed the manual and fiddled with the configuration until I managed a connection using "Allowed clients" via the Online configuration utility using the laptops wireless adaptor's MAC address.

The second wireless connection I'd like to create is via a TRENDnet TEW‐649UB Wireless N USB Adapter. This adaptor is connected to a USB port on an old Compaq Desktop. The USB port of the desktop is a USB 1.0 due to the desktops age and I'm not sure if this could cause a problem, I suspect it may limit speed and maybe functionality.

I followed the same process as for the laptops configuration via the Allowed clients MAC address. After this configuration is done, there is a connection as confirmed via the taskbar icon, but data transfer is not being allowed.

I am now presuming due to the TRENDnet's security settings or Encryption. I'm busy looking at the AP's and laptop's security & encryption configuration to try fugure this out. I need to check the USB adaptors configuration as it's own configuration utility is something I have not checked out and I suspect the AP and USB adaptors are not configured the same.

I'm not yet sure why a connection is indicated but no data transfer is allowed. I refer to data transfer as internet or email access failing even though a wireless connection is present. I need to still investigate this but I have no direct access to this setup as the equipment belongs to an older friend of mine so I research and then visit once I find something I suspect maybe causing the problem. Appreciate your interest in this little issue. :pt1cable:

RealBeast

Titan
It is likely the USB 1.0 port. While some adapters are available that support USB 1.0/1.1, it doesn't appear that the model that you have does -- that would cause the issue that you have and could not be resolved using that adapter. You will need one that specifically supports USB 1.0/1.1 connections. For example, this Trendnet model does support that connection: http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-54Mbps-Wireless-Adapter-TEW-424UB/dp/B000636JD8

mahnac72

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Thank you. I was not aware the unit was not backward compatible.
Much appreciated.