[SOLVED] Wireless connection drops every 2-3 hours

Dec 28, 2020
Whenever I'm playing games, every 2-3 hours my internet connection will randomly drop for about 5-10 seconds. My friends can't hear me in Discord, any game I'm playing I'll get disconnected from. I've been watching my ping using "ping -t 8.8.8.8" and it shows my ping spiking to 300-1000 during these moments and the command sometimes failing altogether. I've done everything I can on my end besides calling my ISP, any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard
EVGA 600+ 80W PSU
Wifi Adapter came with motherboard, unsure of branding
Windows 10 Home,
Intel - System - 2040.100.0.1029
Intel - Net - 12.19.0.16
Intel Corporation - Bluetooth - 21.90.2.1

Solution
Leave a ping run to your router IP at the same time. That will confirm it is the wifi rather than maybe your internet.

Some computer have some crap "green" power save junk that cuts the power down on the wifi card. It should not do that if you are actively using the wifi.

Random failure on wifi is extremely hard to find. You have few things you can even change on wifi. It is the standard try different radio channels, try the 2.4g band or the 5g band, maybe set the channel with to 20 or 40. Be aware changing the channel width will cut the maximum speed in exchange for possibly more stability.

You could try other drivers, maybe windows loaded generic ones during one of its stupid automatic patches. You are going to have...
Leave a ping run to your router IP at the same time. That will confirm it is the wifi rather than maybe your internet.

Some computer have some crap "green" power save junk that cuts the power down on the wifi card. It should not do that if you are actively using the wifi.

Random failure on wifi is extremely hard to find. You have few things you can even change on wifi. It is the standard try different radio channels, try the 2.4g band or the 5g band, maybe set the channel with to 20 or 40. Be aware changing the channel width will cut the maximum speed in exchange for possibly more stability.

You could try other drivers, maybe windows loaded generic ones during one of its stupid automatic patches. You are going to have to figure out the chipset or at least get them from the motherboard company.

It could be some interference. Although it is uncommon wifi can actually run on the same radio frequiceies as weather radar. If the router detect weather radar it must stop using it. If a tv station were to say test their radar every couple hours it could cause a issue for routers attempting to use those radio bands. This is partially why many routers do not support this option. Then again it could be your neighbor has some automated update or something running and when he uses his wifi a lot more it could jamb yours. BUT the solution is still the same you try to use other radio bands.

Maybe you get lucky and it is in the ISP network. Well if the ISP is willing to fix it. If you do not see the problem with the ping to the router but you do see it on your other ping then it is likely a ISP problem. You will want to run tracert and ping the ISP router in hop 2 so when you call the ISP they do not blame the google dns server (ie 8.8.8.8).

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one, or both, may be capturing some error code, warning, or informational events that correspond to the drops.

Especially if there is a pattern of some sort. Reliability History uses a timeline format. and the colored icons may have a matching pattern.

Dec 28, 2020

You could try other drivers, maybe windows loaded generic ones during one of its stupid automatic patches. You are going to have to figure out the chipset or at least get them from the motherboard company.

It could be some interference. Although it is uncommon wifi can actually run on the same radio frequiceies as weather radar. If the router detect weather radar it must stop using it. If a tv station were to say test their radar every couple hours it could cause a issue for routers attempting to use those radio bands. This is partially why many routers do not support this option. Then again it could be your neighbor has some automated update or something running and when he uses his wifi a lot more it could jamb yours. BUT the solution is still the same you try to use other radio bands.

Maybe you get lucky and it is in the ISP network. Well if the ISP is willing to fix it. If you do not see the problem with the ping to the router but you do see it on your other ping then it is likely a ISP problem. You will want to run tracert and ping the ISP router in hop 2 so when you call the ISP they do not blame the google dns server (ie 8.8.8.8).

Tried everything you suggested besides different drivers, also decided to check if the same thing happened with an ethernet connection, which it does. I guess I'll be calling my ISP tomorrow to see if they can do something about it. Thank you guys for all your help!