[SOLVED] Wireless Mouse Interference

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a G703 and it's been flawless for months. Including a lot of gaming yesterday I had no issues. Nothing has changed in my apt or environment but today as I did for weeks at a time months ago my mouse is constantly skipping all over the place.

I have cleaned the sensor, cleaned the mousepad, tried a separate brand new G703 (had the same issue), moved away any bluetooth devices or other wireless devices (they were there yesterday), and tried different USB ports on my PC for the receiver. Nothing has changed at all in my setup.

I'm at a loss and I don't want to have to change to a wired mouse or get a different wireless mouse. Could this be interference from a neighbor? Any ideas about what it could be? I am at my wits end with this.

Thanks,

Edit: I think I'm going insane. So basically the mouse has the issue on my pad in the spot it always is. (mousepad present or not) and then if i try it on another area like in front of me or to the left I have no issues.

PC:
5800X
Gigabyte X570
4x8 3800mhz g.skill ram
Asus strix 3080
Seasonic Titanium 1000W PSU

Last edited:
Solution
I can think of two reasons for your symptoms:

1. The battery charge in the mouse is low.
Since you have used two different mice, I would not expect a battery defect to be the cause.
When the mouse is not in use, I think it should auto turn off.
But, if there is any sort of vibration around, it might think it was still in use and drain the battery.
You may need to actually switch it off between uses.
This actually happened to me on a cruise ship.

2. The receiver is too distant from the mouse.
The user doc says it should be less than 20cm.
https://www.logitech.com/assets/65259/g703-lightspeed-wireless-gaming-mouse.pdf

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition. History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events regarding the wireless mouse.

Or any other issues that correspond when the mouse started skipping.

Look in Update History - any new and/or problem updates within the last 24 hours?

Try manually downloading the G703 mouse drivers via Logitech's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition. History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events regarding the wireless mouse.

Or any other issues that correspond when the mouse started skipping.

Look in Update History - any new and/or problem updates within the last 24 hours?

Try manually downloading the G703 mouse drivers via Logitech's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Added my system specs. THE PSU is about a year old now at this point and it does get heavy use. Should be in really good condition though.

No events in reliability or event viewer that could be related to the mouse that I can see. Haven't had a windows update since mid January. I did update today after the mouse issues were occurring. No change.

Drivers and firmware are up to date via GHUB and windows. I don't see any downloads directly from Logitech. Not sure if I'm just missing it.

I can only really guess it's some kind of interference but I have no clue what it could be.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I had a similar problem happen to me last year. I ended up having to purchase USB extenders and plug the dongle in within a few inches of my mouse and the other PC (is equipped similarly) in the room for them not to skip. Never have figured out what happened.

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
I had a similar problem happen to me last year. I ended up having to purchase USB extenders and plug the dongle in within a few inches of my mouse and the other PC (is equipped similarly) in the room for them not to skip. Never have figured out what happened.
Yeah I've seen several people say an extender helped but I never really considered it since my PC sits literally next to my mousepad. Can't hurt to try though. Thanks for another idea.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yeah I've seen several people say an extender helped but I never really considered it since my PC sits literally next to my mousepad. Can't hurt to try though. Thanks for another idea.

My mouse and dongle are less than a foot apart, most of the time about 6-8". If I place my mouse on the other side of my keypad it starts skipping. If I were going to take a complete conspiracy type guess I would relate it to my 5G phone as the issue seems to coincide time wise.

I can think of two reasons for your symptoms:

1. The battery charge in the mouse is low.
Since you have used two different mice, I would not expect a battery defect to be the cause.
When the mouse is not in use, I think it should auto turn off.
But, if there is any sort of vibration around, it might think it was still in use and drain the battery.
You may need to actually switch it off between uses.
This actually happened to me on a cruise ship.

2. The receiver is too distant from the mouse.
The user doc says it should be less than 20cm.
https://www.logitech.com/assets/65259/g703-lightspeed-wireless-gaming-mouse.pdf

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Per all the above:

Try a new battery - especially if the mouse/mice happens to still be using any OEM/generic battery. (I have a tendency to quickly replace any battery that comes with electronic devices. Even if an identifiable "brand name" battery....)

And the USB extender (extension) cable can certainly help position the mouse dongle somewhere that improves transmitting and receiving.