tsekatsu

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Hello, Ive recent built my first computer and its all together and runs fine,but one problem we can't get the internet to work. mainly with wireless. we've been using a linksys wireless-g PCI WMP54G adapter.

we plug it in install the drivers then it says it will shut down and I will have to reboot. this is where the problem is. after reboot, something pops up about finding the drivers for the adapter, then it says that none could be found.

I wondered if it was because we are using pci-e slots and that they might not be compatible with pci. or that our wireless might not be compatible with the windows vista 64 bit that I am using.

we then moved to wired internet. and still we could not connect. we tried everything. and we could not get a connection, I have no idea whats going on.

please help :)

-jay

G

Many brands demand you install the driver then shut down and install the PCI adapter -- check Linksys manual.

'Fraid my hardware is so old that I'm not familiar with PCI-e slots. I'd assume that if the slot is physically the same there should be no issue with older PCI devices unless the motherboard manual mentions it (you might e-mail the motherboard maker to confirm).

The usual approach to PCI problems is to try another PCI slot (if any) . Also look at BIOS settings and disable any devices not in use -- Midi/Games Ports, COM ports, parallel printer port (if you use USB printer).

Regarding wired problem -- this sounds like Windows prob. But if the LAN port is built-in check that it's not disabled in the BIOS.