Wireless Repeater and Wifi remote apps

Moneyloo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hey guys I've been troubleshooting this particular problem for a while now and I was hoping you could help. Without going into too much detail, I have a large house and wanted to extend the wifi to the dead zones. So I purchased an amped SRT-1000 so called Smart-Repeater and set it up, it worked a treat but now I just have two home networks to choose from, and when I'm on the new Amped_Network, none of my phone wifi based remote control apps work for their devices.

Is there a way I can forward the addresses from my Amped router network to the main router network so the remote apps will control my devices? Obviously the problem is they aren't on the "same" network since they have different SSID's, but the repeater is just getting it's data from the first wifi router anyways, so could I forward it along since the end network is the same cable modem?

Apparently the Smart-Repeater isn't so smart after all.

SSIDs don't determine whether something is or isn't a different network. You can setup multiple APs (different SSIDs, or even the same SSID if you want roaming) on the same network. It’s done all the time.

What I suspect is that the “smart” repeater just assumed (perhaps it’s the default) it should put your new AP on a different network (maybe it doesn’t even know the other network exists). But I would assume you *can* place them on the same network w/ the proper configuration. And as I said, perhaps even the same SSID if you'd like roaming.

Moneyloo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into them in the morning.
Currently my setup is
Cable from wall to modem--> modem to wndr4500
Amped srt1000 in another room; grabbing the wndr4500 wifi waves and repeating them under a new ssid. This throws out fantastic wifi to our entire house but our smarttv is connected via Ethernet to the wndr4500 and not visible on the iPhone app, unless I manually swap wifi to away from the repeater and onto the wndr4500.

Seems like since the repeater is getting its Internet from the wndr4500 it might be possible to route something in the configs of either.

Otherwise I'm willing to try other simpler solutions.
Thanks again and have a good night.

Moneyloo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Okay so after getting the time to mess around with it some I went with the first suggestion first; renaming the SSID to match the WNDR. Unfortunately the SR1000 complains and tells me to NOT set it to the same SSID..and now I only have the one SSID showing up on my network, so I'm going to spend a bit testing to see if it's one big WIFI network under the same SSID with a router and a "smart repeater", or if it's just not broadcasting anymore from the repeater. Thanks again.