Wireless Router - Sending email problems

mark

I just hooked up my Belkin wireless 2.4ghz 802.11b router and I cannot send
emails - I can recieve emails but it just times out when sending email.
I called Belken and my ISP and neither could solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark wrote:

>I just hooked up my Belkin wireless 2.4ghz 802.11b router and I cannot send
>emails - I can recieve emails but it just times out when sending email.
>I called Belken and my ISP and neither could solve the problem.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.

Who hosts your email account? BellSouth? Their servers are very very slow.

"Mark" <markneed@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I just hooked up my Belkin wireless 2.4ghz 802.11b router and I cannot
send
> emails - I can recieve emails but it just times out when sending email.
> I called Belken and my ISP and neither could solve the problem.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> --

E-mail uses 2 different ports to send and receive. Port 25 is normally used
to receive e-mail. Sending is usually either 110 (pop) or 143 (imap).
There are others for pops and imaps, but the point I am reaching for is to
check your router setup to see if it is blocking access to those ports.

beretta

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:41:21 -0800, "Otha Stubblefield"
<otha.stubblefield@ucla.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>E-mail uses 2 different ports to send and receive. Port 25 is normally used
>to receive e-mail. Sending is usually either 110 (pop) or 143 (imap).
>There are others for pops and imaps, but the point I am reaching for is to
>check your router setup to see if it is blocking access to those ports.

You've got it backwards.

Port 25 is SMTP (sending)
Port 110 is POP3 (receiving)