Wireless.

The doc wants to get rid of all the cabling now to clean the place up,
so we're going wireless. Does this look good to anyone?
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php
That's what the local shop stocks, and Microsoft wireless PCI cards.
The computers now are CAT-5 run through a 4-port Linksys router with
one port going to a 4-port hub to serve a total of 7. Setting up the
system should be a snap, but I know next to nothing about locking down
a wirelss network. Any suggestions?

-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:55:14 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>The doc wants to get rid of all the cabling now to clean the place up,
>so we're going wireless. Does this look good to anyone?
>http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php
>That's what the local shop stocks, and Microsoft wireless PCI cards.
>The computers now are CAT-5 run through a 4-port Linksys router with
>one port going to a 4-port hub to serve a total of 7. Setting up the
>system should be a snap, but I know next to nothing about locking down
>a wirelss network. Any suggestions?

Don't go wireless. Wireless is for convenience, not for a business where
security matters. WEP and WPA are both easily crackable. Aren't you
required to follow the HIPAA security guidelines?

You're already wired, right? So why give up the security and reliability
of that? I could understand it being a choice for a new office, but I
don't see why you'd want it now if you're already wired.

Most people with that model that I've talked to seem pleased enough with
it but it's known to just quit broadcasting for no good reason - basically
it locks up and requires a reboot. Not sure how widespread that problem
is really.

Anyhow, if you've slammed your head in the garage door and just have to go
wireless be sure to change the WAP's password, rename your SSID and
disable the SSID from being broadcast. If you can use MAC filtering - not
sure if that model can do that. Be sure to use WPA instead of WEP if
possible since it is more secure.
--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:00:55 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:55:14 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>The doc wants to get rid of all the cabling now to clean the place up,
>>so we're going wireless. Does this look good to anyone?
>>http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php
>>That's what the local shop stocks, and Microsoft wireless PCI cards.
>>The computers now are CAT-5 run through a 4-port Linksys router with
>>one port going to a 4-port hub to serve a total of 7. Setting up the
>>system should be a snap, but I know next to nothing about locking down
>>a wirelss network. Any suggestions?
>
>Don't go wireless. Wireless is for convenience, not for a business where
>security matters. WEP and WPA are both easily crackable. Aren't you
>required to follow the HIPAA security guidelines?

Ooh -good point.

On 2005-04-08, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
> Don't go wireless. Wireless is for convenience, not for a business where
> security matters. WEP and WPA are both easily crackable. Aren't you
> required to follow the HIPAA security guidelines?
>
> You're already wired, right? So why give up the security and reliability
> of that? I could understand it being a choice for a new office, but I
> don't see why you'd want it now if you're already wired.
>
> Most people with that model that I've talked to seem pleased enough with
> it but it's known to just quit broadcasting for no good reason - basically
> it locks up and requires a reboot. Not sure how widespread that problem
> is really.
>
> Anyhow, if you've slammed your head in the garage door and just have to go
> wireless be sure to change the WAP's password, rename your SSID and
> disable the SSID from being broadcast. If you can use MAC filtering - not
> sure if that model can do that. Be sure to use WPA instead of WEP if
> possible since it is more secure.

As long as you have a good design and implmentation you shouldn't have any
major problems. The technology is IMHO mature enough for business use provided
you take the precautions you take with any system, ie encrypt data over
the link (eg SSH tunnels transparent to the application layer), implement
the system in stages (to find and fix problems), choose reliable equipment
and vendors, plan and test etc.

Of course there are some security and reliability issues to be aware of
as the are for any system but as long as you are aware of the risks and take
steps to address them you are way ahead of the rest.

Disclaimer: I don't actually use wireless, but this is mainly due to the cost
($2000 for a non-line-of-sight 1km link across town (which would not
significantly better than the current system)) and not technical or security
issues.

Kadmos

support wrote:

> If you just want to prevent people from freeloading on your wireless
> internet connection, you might want to try our free WIFI internet blocker
> at http://www.imadouchebag.com

Oh, look! A new Dragon!

Hi support Dragon, why don't you introduce yourself?

Have a pie! *SPLUT!*

Haha

--
Cape Dweller Dragon