Question Wits end here. Need a replacement for a Legacy BIOS card

Jun 13, 2019
Hi guys,
I have an old HP h8-1020-es with a IPISB-CH2 Motherboard. I bought the higher end model which includes an I-7 processor and 16 gigs of ram. The point is I only use it to program and would like to continue to use it.

The video card crapped out. It no longer works. Model 1062. HP PN:649669-001. It's an NVIDIA graphics card. I believe it is a GT440?

The problem is that I have purchased two graphics cards already and neither one has worked. The system chokes on the HP splash screen and that is that.

I would like someone to tell me what card I can buy that will work on the spot. I don't want to guess anymore. I spent 3 hours on the phone with someone from Amazon and they assured me the card would work. No dice.

I am not even sure if the problem is the legacy BIOS or what it is. I was running 4 monitors with the older card using the integrated graphics.

BTW, running UBuntu 18.04 and the old card had no problems.

lashw says the system is uefi capable, but no mention of uefi in the setup.

Please help!

Jun 13, 2019
Hi and thanks for your reply. HP has not offered a BIOS update since 2012. And then the update they offered does nothing for the BIOS or UEFI. What I would like to do is find a graphics card that can handle two monitors and not block the integral video card and can handle UEFI. I've read there are some cards that can be switched between Legacy and UEFI.

I've tried two different cards from Amazon, if you fell it's important, I can get you the info of which ones.