WLAN with XP:where are the drivers?

I am trying to set up a Netgear MA101 usb WiFi receiver on a XP home but
have an issue with drivers. I have downloaded the drivers from Netgear (and
other sites) but when I open up the properties box for the MA101 I do not
get the configuration options that I do with Win98, just non-editable status
information.
I have found out that I can use windows to configure the reception and I get
a good connection between the Access Point and the Receiver and can access
the LAN and Internet. It stopped workling as suddenly as it started!
Can anyone point me towards the full spec XP driver please or advise me on
what to check?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:47:28 +0100, "nikkj" <"*email_address_deleted*"> wrote:

>I am trying to set up a Netgear MA101 usb WiFi receiver on a XP home but
>have an issue with drivers. I have downloaded the drivers from Netgear (and
>other sites) but when I open up the properties box for the MA101 I do not
>get the configuration options that I do with Win98, just non-editable status
>information.
>I have found out that I can use windows to configure the reception and I get
>a good connection between the Access Point and the Receiver and can access
>the LAN and Internet. It stopped workling as suddenly as it started!
>Can anyone point me towards the full spec XP driver please or advise me on
>what to check?

Do you have a setting "Allow Windows to manage my connection"?

And please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining viruses.
Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer when
posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet - never
post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

I've just loaded the same drivers on a machine running XPpro and everything
seems to work. Why not with XPhome, I presume the same drivers should work?

"nikkj" <"nikkj@hotmail.com"> wrote in message
> I am trying to set up a Netgear MA101 usb WiFi receiver on a XP home but
> have an issue with drivers. I have downloaded the drivers from Netgear
(and
> other sites) but when I open up the properties box for the MA101 I do not
> get the configuration options that I do with Win98, just non-editable
status
> information.
> I have found out that I can use windows to configure the reception and I
get
> a good connection between the Access Point and the Receiver and can access
> the LAN and Internet. It stopped workling as suddenly as it started!
> Can anyone point me towards the full spec XP driver please or advise me on
> what to check?

Hi Chuck
Thanks for the address advice.Noted and acted upon, I kept on meaning to do
something about it...........

I do have an "Allow Windows to manage my connection" option which I enabled
and, after puting in the appropriate settings got full WLAN and Internet
access until I turned the machine (a laptop) off after the third or fourth
use. Then the settings all disappeared and re-entering them gets me
connected to the Access point but not to the LAN or Internet. I will try an
earlier restore point and re-install the drivers for fun. It might work !
Testing the receiver on my main machine I found a settings option which was
not windows controlled and allowed for more setting to be entered. I just
don't seem to be able to find it in the XP home setup. I presume (hope) that
the non-windows version is writing the setup parameters to the receiver
itself in non-volatile ram.

Thanks again
Nick
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

nikkj" <"nikkj(at)hotmail(dot)com wrote:
> Hi Chuck
> Thanks for the address advice.Noted and acted upon, I kept on meaning
> to do something about it...........
>
> I do have an "Allow Windows to manage my connection" option which I
> enabled and, after puting in the appropriate settings got full WLAN
> and Internet access until I turned the machine (a laptop) off after
> the third or fourth use. Then the settings all disappeared and
> re-entering them gets me connected to the Access point but not to the
> LAN or Internet. I will try an earlier restore point and re-install
> the drivers for fun. It might work ! Testing the receiver on my main
> machine I found a settings option which was not windows controlled
> and allowed for more setting to be entered. I just don't seem to be
> able to find it in the XP home setup. I presume (hope) that the
> non-windows version is writing the setup parameters to the receiver
> itself in non-volatile ram.
>
> Thanks again
> Nick
> Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
>

> "Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:47:28 +0100, "nikkj"
>> <"*email_address_deleted*"> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to set up a Netgear MA101 usb WiFi receiver on a XP
>>> home but have an issue with drivers. I have downloaded the drivers
>>> from Netgear (and other sites) but when I open up the properties
>>> box for the MA101 I do not get the configuration options that I do
>>> with Win98, just non-editable status information.
>>> I have found out that I can use windows to configure the reception
>>> and I get a good connection between the Access Point and the
>>> Receiver and can access the LAN and Internet. It stopped workling
>>> as suddenly as it started!
>>> Can anyone point me towards the full spec XP driver please or
>>> advise me on what to check?
>>
>> Do you have a setting "Allow Windows to manage my connection"?
>>
>> And please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
>> viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep
>> yourself a bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself
>> and the rest of the internet - never post your address unmunged.
>> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck
>> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

When you downloaded the driver, how did you install it? I don't know
your adapter, but most USB devices need to have the driver installed
before connecting the device the first time, unless there are other
vendor instructions.

I loaded the driver before installing pluging in the USB receiver