[SOLVED] WMR headset no longer working after clean install of win10... error 7-15 (ugh)

Feb 10, 2022
sorry if this is necro or duplicate post...
So, just this week i decided the best course of action for my computer would be to clean install win10 again... its something i do every now and then, systems get clogged and performance suffers yadda yadda yadda...
The install went beautifully, every aspect of the system seems nominal... except...
When i plug in my WMR HMD (hp reverb g1) that ive used already for about 2 years, i now get an error... It says incompatible version of winusb.
ive tried microsoft support, ive tried hp support and they all keep telling me the same thing... uninstall the drivers for the asmedia usb3.0 devices and let windows install its base winusb drivers instead.
this is where i run in to problems... i cannot uninstall said drivers. when i right click on the device it gives me the option to uninstall the device but there is no check box for uninstalling drivers. there are no asmedia proggies showing in the add/remove software options. in device manager, it appears that i am using the microsoft drivers anyway.
im stuck here. im getting incredibly frustrated. i remember that when i bought the headset i had to do something to make it work, but that was 2 years ago and i dont remember what it was (though for some reason uninstalling a windows update comes to mind, may not be reliable lol... i know my mind)
please, if anyone out there can help me i would be eternally grateful!!!

Feb 10, 2022
Is this a home built PC or an off the shelf system?
If it's a home build, have you reinstalled your motherboard drivers?

-Wolf sends
its a homebuild.
im pretty sure i got em all, but ill double check.
i know ive installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, reuninstalled the usb drivers a few times now lol.

Feb 10, 2022
Is this a home built PC or an off the shelf system?
If it's a home build, have you reinstalled your motherboard drivers?

-Wolf sends
sorry for double post, but i have now ensured that all mobo drivers have been installed.
i had skipped the ondeck soundcard drivers (its disabled in bios, i use a pci-e soundcard to prevent mobo interference lol) and the LAN drivers.

Feb 10, 2022
Please list your full system specs to include model numbers.

Case:
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
Graphics:
Storage:

-Wolf sends
Case: Coolermaster HAF X
Power Supply: GP-P850GM (gigabyte)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 (regular, not deluxe or anything like that)
CPU: Intel i7-3930k
RAM: 4x4gb G-Skillz TridentX DDR3@2400Mhz (PC3-19200 4Gx4)
Graphics: Zotac RTX 2070 8Gb (PN 9288-2N520-200Z8)
Storage: Kingston 128gb SSD, for OS only (SH103S3120G )
Western Digital 1TB HDD (WD10EACS-00ZJB0)
Western Digital 1TB HDD (WD10ZEX-60M2NA0)
Western Digital 3TB HDD (WD30EZRX-00SPEB0)
Western Digital 1TB SSD (WDBNCE0010PNC)

Feb 10, 2022
Go into Device Manager and make sure that Mixed Reality Headset is listed there (under Monitors).
Right click and select properties.
Under the General Tab, does it say This device is working properly?

-Wolf sends
it shows up as a mixed reality device, and right clicking and selecting properties shows it as working fine.
i have screen grabs, but no web hosting service to share them... i may fix that problem immediately.
im trying to share the pics from my cloud storage, but when i paste the link in the box that comes up here it gives me an error...
ill just paste the links here,
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AurWqiNRUSwciV_AvIJXbe9bWrI3?e=BvXcHQ
--and--
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AurWqiNRUSwciV4L1eeX62qFkMw-?e=QaZhRV

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ioq0nU9.jpg

XguIFJz.jpg

bEJUesr.jpg

Obviously, I don't have the same error message that you have. What happens if you go to the driver tab and update the driver on that unknown device window? Is there an HP driver that you didn't install?

-Wolf sends

Feb 10, 2022
Ioq0nU9.jpg

XguIFJz.jpg

bEJUesr.jpg

Obviously, I don't have the same error message that you have. What happens if you go to the driver tab and update the driver on that unknown device window? Is there an HP driver that you didn't install?

-Wolf sends
only my monitor shows up under monitors, there are no driver updates and it tells me im using the best one for "hololense sensor". i know there is hololense tech in the reverb, but i dont remember seeing that device before i re installed windows.
id happily share my desktop with you if youd like to poke around a bit, might save some time and frustration but id need to be shown how.

Feb 10, 2022
No. I do not want to share your desktop and you should NEVER even offer something like that.

-Wolf sends
thanks for your integrity! you are correct, but i was getting desperate.
so its working now. heres how i did it....
i uninstalled the driver for the hololense sensor, downloaded new ones from microsoft, installed them and damn if its not working now!!!! omg time for some mod heavy skyrim lol!
thanks for your time in this matter, if you ever need some roof repairs done i would be happy to do them for you but travel would likely be an issue. also thanks for your integrity and honesty in the shared desktop kerfuffle lol, some people may have jumped on that opportunity. theres no sensitive data on this system yet, no banking nothing like that and it would be easy enough for me to reinstall windows but still was a huge lapse in judgement on my part.
thank you for all your time friend! im super happy now, lol im almost giddy!