Wolfenstein: The New Order: The Hardware You Need to Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
50GB install. Oh, come on. I'm sure, like Titanfall, the majority of that is uncompressed audio and cutscenes. I would happily deal with compressed audio if it means an install smaller than 20GB again. Cripes.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
"gamers will need an Intel Core i7 or an equivalent AMD chip"
i7 requirement? Yeah, that's kind of nuts if true. So much for all of us that got i5's... lol. And, not to knock AMD too hard, but there isn't an equivalent atm. What are they supposed to do?

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
"gamers will need an Intel Core i7 or an equivalent AMD chip"

I find that to be highly unlikely.
I bet they got their "Recommended" and "minimum" specs all smashed together because you do not pair an i7 with a GeForce 460 on the required ends of things.

As for the core i7 requirement... I wonder if that is just veiled language for saying the game makes better use of virtual cores which is really the only big difference between the i5 and i7. Reading this article makes it sound like a heavily CPU dependent game, especially with the crappy GPU requirement.

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, for people that like to rebuild their PC every 6 months, and spend stupid money on expensive parts.

I like the Wolfenstein series. My second favorite behide Quake.
But if it comes down to needing a new CPU for this particular release? A new CPU that is not that much advanced over my current i5-3570k? Not likely.

Enthusiast gamers maybe..... Realistically, everyone does not need an i7. In the 5 years that I have had mine, I can't honestly say it has been worth the upfront cost.

I mostly game but do some hobby-ist video & sound editing. I do find some comfort in knowing my bottleneck won't come from the core of my system in a 5 year span. She is a little long in the tooth now(i7-920) but my OC is still holding (I'm actually at 3.2GHz for the summer months, not 3.8GHz). I'm now on my 3rd GPU with this rig(GTX 260>GTX 560Ti>GTX 770 SC)

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Was so busy laughing at the comments I forgot to mention this article is extremely misleading. They mean a first generation i7. CPU: 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7-930 or 3.2 GHz Six-Core AMD Phenom II 1090T are the actual minimal requirements and make more sense. The game has no recommended requirements just the minimal requirements.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Didn't COD:G have fake ram requirements that modders bypassed and ran the game fine? Marketing a game as "good" by inflating requirements is sad sign of the mentality of the mass audience that video gaming is trying to sell to. The "mass effect".
Oh the overload of hype, news, marketing and internet traffic. I miss walking into a computer shop back before I even subscribed to PCGamer, and seeing Mech2-mercs AND crusader-no-regret on the shelf, going "AAAAAAAARRRGgggghh! OMG! daaaaadd lemme buy that pleeeaasse", and crying the next day that my 486 can't run them and dying to see the amazing graphics on the game boxes. THAT was a time to upgrade, when something you pick off the shelf with no idea would very likely be a high-rated classic fun game.
Ironic to call it the "New Order" when all they've been doing is rehashing heavily-scripted, invisible-walled, stupidly-easy, linear corridor FPSs-cum-interactive-movies with- ero-replayability, ever since Half-Life-1.

Do you know that Core i7-860, -920, -930, -940, -950 exist?
Recent i3's are better than these

FunSurfer

Distinguished
I'm still waiting for a game CPU benchmark that will show a 30% better FPS for i7 vs i5 from the same generation, as it is the HT benefit. And if the minimum requirement is the i7 930, does it mean that the game will be unplayable on the i7 920? I highly doubt it...

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
First gen I7 makes sense. If the game is optimized for 8 threads, the Amd 8 cores might out do the i5.

I'm sure it is a first gen i7 tho. Why would they require a modern day i7 and only a 6850.

Status
Not open for further replies.