phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
My Mother's computer,while she was on it just shut off on it's own and won't boot up again.
She said she smelled a burning smell like rubber burning. When we try and boot it ,I can hear the fan start up.I took the cover off and looked inside and from what I could see I DIDN't see anything wrong. I'm not really computer savy
I've installed some cards and a hard drive and memory in my own computer but that is all.
Thought maybe power supply or cpu?
The specs are: AMD-Athlon Xp 1600
200 watt power supply
MB Santafe-KM
512 Ram
40gb HD
On Board Video
Emachines T1400

Can anyone help? I know it probably could any number of things.

Phoenix16

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
EMachines, and 200 watt power supply. I bought a broken eMachines thinking I could fix the parts. Didn't quit work that way. I was told that the brand is known to have trouble, and the power supply units are also problematic.

$50 will probably be the most you'd have to pay a proffessional for a diagnostic. Quick answer, buy a motherboard that can fit equipment you have, and buy a new power supply unit. Beyond that, make sure the motherboard fits the form factor of your case. Will probably need a micro ATX board. Beyond that, couldn't tell you much other then there was a burned piece of some sticker on a part of the motherboard on the one I bought. Might have been the chipset chip, don't know.

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
could be bloody anything my friend. try some trial n error to find out what it is. could even be a fused in your Power Supply. Try opening every part and seeing if there are burnings. ( under the heatsinks n that). I would say u need a new pc cause that is a god damn old one.thats probablt worth nothing atm...

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
darious00777

The computer is almost 5 years old and have had no problems. It has been a great machine. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
darious00777

The computer is almost 5 years old and have had no problems. It has been a great machine. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

This computer is a bit older then that, and one day things just stopped working properly. It would start up, but nothing would load. Hard drive crashed on me. But since yours won't even do that, I'd have to go against saying it's the hard drive.

Also, you've got to remember that as time goes on there's slight damage to components each time their used. It could be years before something happens, but getting five years out of a computer is pretty damn good as it is.

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
darious00777

Could it be the hard drive? I had the computer for 4.5 years and gave it to my Mom when I bought a new one this past March. All she does is play Spider and Scrabble on it. She is 85. I was wondering if I should try a BOOT Cd and see what happens?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
If the computer won't start up at all, I'd say it's not the hard drive, not directly. Even if that malfunctioned the motherboard should still be good.

The only other situation I've known something like that to happened was due to some RAM frying itself.

Best option would probably be to take it into a professional and have them diagnose the problem.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
you should buy a $15 PSU tester from Antec.
Cheap and will help narrow down the cause.
And it'll come in handy later on trust me...lol

phoenix16

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Would the Computer and Monitor come on at all if the power supply unit was gone. I mean it Does start up and the fan comes on. The monitor clicks on when I hit the button.???

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Would the Computer and Monitor come on at all if the power supply unit was gone. I mean it Does start up and the fan comes on. The monitor clicks on when I hit the button.???

the monitor has seperate power .

if the fan spins up it could still be a psu.
and it could be a mobo .

if you are comfortable swapping a psu.

it is probably the cheapest way.

if not replace everything=buy a new computer.

a good psu like i listed is 40 bucks.
thats cheaper than a whole new comp.