Wont work = MSIK7N2 Delta- + Barton 2600 + 256 DDR

AndyE12

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I just bought :
CPU AMD|2600/333 ATHLON XP BARTON R
MB MSI|K7N2 Delta-L Retail
256 DDR 400

Put them in the case and got everything hooked up, installed my FX 5200 and put the cable on it and the mouse and whatnot. Well I start it up and it works, the fan on the heat sink is going... So then I see that the Motherboard shows it as a ATHLON 1180 GHZ or something. So I messed with some stuff like voltages and [-peep-] and got it to show I had a 2600. Well anyways I go to get on windows and it just sits there, goes black and then it goes blue screen real quick and shuts off. I took the hard drive and put it on this old computer to see if it was the HD but it works fine. So it must be something with the settings of the CPU and memmory....so can someone help me out with?

I would first go into the bios and load setup defaults. Reboot.Let windows load.
Now restart and enter bios. Set the fsb to 166. Restart.
This will get you to 2600+.
Now go back into the bios and ONLY change ONE item at a time. then restart. Let it load all of the way into windows.

I always suggest changing one parameter at a time.If it fails you know what caused it.

I aint signing nothing!!!

AndyE12

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
okay I changed it to 166 and it made it turn into the 2600.
However windows wont load, I dont even get to see the start screen or anything. It stays black for about 30 seconds then a quick blue screen and then it restarts. Everything was changed back to defaults like you said.

pyrocutee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Did you go to the manufacturer's website to see what type of memory was recomended for this mobo? Did you buy that type of memory? If not, that could be part of your problem. Unfortunately, too many of the nicer mobo's are VERY picky about the memory.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't simply install a new motherboard/chipset into a system and have Windows XP work. XP prevents that, due to copy prevention. Thank MS for that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Go back into the BIOS after you set everything to default settings.
Make sure you re-set the graphics card to AGP from PCI also make sure the graphics card is seated properly in the AGP slot...you are not using onboard or a PCI card I hope.

You are going black screen to blue are you hearing any beeps from the case like long spaced out Beeps or any fast beeps close together ?

Make sure your MoB is grounded and not all on plastic stand-offs.

In the end just take it down to the local P.C shop because you missed a wire or something and its crashing on you.

for a cheap 20 bucks they would proly have you up and running in half an hour, unless they are busy then you will get it back the next day.

What ever you do don't go near a BIOS update until it is working correctly on the default BIOS, If you think you would need a BIOS update have the shop do it your 20 bucks will ensure they pay for the board if they toast the BIOS chip.

The less you mess with it the more likely you can pin the board failure on them if they mess-up because flashing a BIOS is always like trying to pee into a stainless steel urinal while holding the light switch on with your other hand.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x