Worrying temps on inspiron 1525

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tarshm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

By looking at that picture i gather ill only have to pull of that cover, and just blast the area with compressed air if its dusty, alot easier than i imagined :).... sorry im a bit clueless with laptops internal configuration, give me a PC anytime :)

thanks for the input

We all start somewhere. Learning is 90% of the fun.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
^^That one made me laugh. Most of my learning happened by trial and error. :p

Well, almost every laptop is different. You're lucky that you have a one which you can open only one panel and dust it out. :)

Good luck with your endeavors!

Cheers.

tarshm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I thought id give you guys an update on the laptop issue.

I pulled the back cover off to clean the heatsink and pipe, however it was to my suprise in pristine condition. I still gave the heat sink a blast with air though.

after putting it back to gether i noticed that the fan directly to the bottom of the heat sink is not spinning, and that it must be another fan in the lap top i can here. Ive attatched a photo of the fan that is not spinning how ever i cannot get to it as it i wil have to take the whole bottom off.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/jstoc17/notebook_bottom.jpg

Dell technical service is horrible, i cannot email them as my laptop is out of warrenty when i input the service tag.

does any1 have any ideas of how i can get thorh to them.

Well, I didn't expect that. But it sure could be the issue.

Is this something you think you can service on your own?

The issues that come to mind are:

1) power.

a) Is its source of power in view? May have come unplugged.
b) The source of fan power on board may not be producing juice.
c) May be a software fan control issue of some sort. See what
software/bios says about the fan speed, if anything, and see if you can
control it.

2) Defective Fan

tarshm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
everything looked fine when i pulled the back cover off, however i could not see the fan connection.

Honestly i would put my money on a defective fan. Ive read alot of reviews about dell and the coincidental issues that arise once the product is out of warrenty.

I cannot say that the fan looks easy to get to either due to the fact that ill have to essentially pull the whole black casing of the bottom of the laptop.

>just a side note.. no fan options come up in speedfan either.

Well, if I were in your position, I would disassemble it further to get a closer look at that fan. Especially since its out of warranty. Or you could have it serviced by someone else.

How are you going to proceed?

tarshm

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
lay down an ultimatum then lol.

i wouldnt mind pulling the whole thing apart, but at the moment its stable enough for me to do my university work so i think ill leave it until the mid sem break.

i did bring it to my local PC store about 2 months ago but they were hopeless.
>after a week hadnt heard from them so i rang them up... they needed my password.
>a week later hadnt heard from them. rang them up again... still handt looked at it.
>finally after 2.5 weeks it was ready, and they had nothing to tell me, just that it ran fine for 10hours..

they were pretty hopeless

anyway i have a cheap laptop cooling pad i got of ebay which is doing fine

thanks for your help and advice.

also i a bit incosistant with my replies, kinda in the middel of exam weeks so i can mess around to much

I didn't realize you were a college student. Finding a nice quiet space to work on the unit has a whole new meaning in a dorm!

As long as the cooling pad does the job, your set for now. Good luck on your exams.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. If it's stable enough for your exams, then you should be fine for now.

I would recommend replacing the fan as soon as possible however.

After further researching your problem, I found that you have to remove the system board to get to that fan.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/SM/sysboard.htm#wp1180315

The part number for the fan you want is: NN249 (also, 0NN249 will probably work, but don't hold me to it).

If the cooling pad is working, then that would be good for now. But the absence of a cooling fan in a laptop can really shorten its life.

Good luck with your exams! :)