Worse performance with better GPU

May 16, 2018
I recently upgraded from GTX 960 2gb to GTX 1060 6gb Armor OC i receive poor performance while gaming.
My set up:
CPU i5 6500 3.2ghz
PSU Cooler Master ATX 750W 80 PLUS bronze
8 gb of DDR3 ram(expecting to buy another 8 because it does bottleneck)
I was expecting to play battlefield 1 on high to ultra settings but thats not the case, i get major lag issues on even the lowest possible setting with resolution lowered to 1366x768 (from 1920x1080).That never happened on 960(lowest graphics gave me a lot more FPS)
I get 50 degrees celcius while gaming on my GPU, my CPU, on the other hand, goes between 65 and 90 degrees, some cores have lower temps others have higher. Can the problem be in my CPU cooling system or the bottleneck is so huge with only 8 gbs of ram and other 8 would fix it?

Solution
What is your motherboard?
There are very few that support DDR3 ram.
CPU-Z will tell you.
If you are thinking of adding a second 8gb stick to a two slot motherboard, you are probably now running in slower single channel mode.

I might warn about trying to add ram.
Proper operation has less than a 100% chance of success.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.

Unless you are multitasking while gaming, I think it is unlikely that a shortage of...
The 6500 should not be going to 90C. Something is wrong with your cooling. Check to make sure that the heat sink is set on the IHS properly as it may not be secured.

BF1 is not a good example for you to test your 1060 because you are going to be CPU limited in that game. BF1 is a very CPU heavy game. The minimum requirements is a 6600k. So you are playing under the minimum requirement for the game. When you lower the resolution it puts even more stress on the CPU.

Lastly, I would use this DDU tool to do a clean uninstall of the old drivers. It is a good habit to do this whenever you change GPUs. It can make a big impact.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

What is your motherboard?
There are very few that support DDR3 ram.
CPU-Z will tell you.
If you are thinking of adding a second 8gb stick to a two slot motherboard, you are probably now running in slower single channel mode.

I might warn about trying to add ram.
Proper operation has less than a 100% chance of success.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.

Unless you are multitasking while gaming, I think it is unlikely that a shortage of ram is your issue.

The fact that lowering resolution gave you a good improvement in fps makes me think
you were correct in buying a graphics card upgrade.

Why this did not help is unclear.
A reinstallation of the graphics driver is the first thing I would do.
Windows 10 seems to install some less than optimal drivers.

I think I would not spend more on DDR3 ram.
Going dual channel may get you only a small bump
You could consider a processor like the I5-7600K.
Your motherboard will likely not support overclocking, but the native 3.8 clock will be higher than the 3.2 you now have.

I doubt that the cpu is throttling because of heat. That point is around 100c.
It is normal for some cores to run at different temperatures.

Solution
I doubt that the cpu is throttling because of heat. That point is around 100c.

I am not disagreeing with you at all as 100c is when a chip will start to thermal throttle, but I have not seen a locked CPU run 90C that did not have a cooling issue. Perhaps a combination of high dust, poor airflow and a bad case, but 90C just seems awfully high for a 6500 under a gaming load.

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
You have a reasonable setup and should imagine it wouldn’t bottleneck like this. Added RAM should be helpful (remember to buy the exact same module!). Also your GPU is an MSI Armour series, I wouldn’t say it’s a great GPU and it’s mainly a budget option. Considering that this didn’t happen in your 960 It would only be safe to assume it’s the GPU causing problems.