[SOLVED] Worth change cpu+motherboard ?

jeromeguay1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
Hi guys !

I have a i7-6700k (OC to 4.4 ghz) with an asrock Z170 pro4s, gtx 1060 3gb, 16 gb of ram, 550W power supply...

I do a lot of editing on adobe premiere pro and now I feel like I need an upgrade. I was looking to change my cpu and motherboard only and keep all my other old parts. I was looking for a Ryzen 9 3900x...

BUT....I was also wondering if it could be a good choice to update only my graphic card for something like a rtx 2060 super and keep my old cpu and mob...

Keep in mind my pc build is for adobe premiere pro (or other adobe programs) only, no gaming.

What do you think....maybe you have other option in mind (750$ CAD budget ) ?

Thanks !

Solution
What part of video editing is bad for you, rendering, or actually editing (and previewing) your project?
You would definitely benefit from a CPU upgrade to Ryzen.

If you're on a budget (not very familiar with Canadian currency and market), even a previous-gen Ryzen 7 2700X would be a good choice for video production, if you can get a 3700X, that's even better. Ryzen 9 3900X is of course the best option, if you can afford it, but I would only go that high if video production was an income source for me.

I don't know the specifics of your RAM memory, but Ryzen performs best with 3000MHz+ and dual-channel, keep that in mind.

The GPU mainly helps with 3d effects, and comes in mostly when editing and previewing the video. The 1060 3GB is...

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
What part of video editing is bad for you, rendering, or actually editing (and previewing) your project?
You would definitely benefit from a CPU upgrade to Ryzen.

If you're on a budget (not very familiar with Canadian currency and market), even a previous-gen Ryzen 7 2700X would be a good choice for video production, if you can get a 3700X, that's even better. Ryzen 9 3900X is of course the best option, if you can afford it, but I would only go that high if video production was an income source for me.

I don't know the specifics of your RAM memory, but Ryzen performs best with 3000MHz+ and dual-channel, keep that in mind.

The GPU mainly helps with 3d effects, and comes in mostly when editing and previewing the video. The 1060 3GB is enough for 1080p and 2k editing from my experience (although I use Vegas and Avid, not Premiere), for 4k editing, you'd benefit from something slightly more powerful. Don't have to go crazy on the GPU though. The CPU is more important.

Reactions: Sithlord1138
Solution

jeromeguay1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
It's more about actual editing...can't edit in full resolution and when I had some effect it's even hard at half the quality...I think my actual memory is 2666 MHz ( 2 X 8 gb)...And yeah I edit 4K mainly...

Is this the same rule of 3000 MHz with a intel i9 !?

I was also looking at i9 9900k or even i9 10850k...

I'm trying to do a big upgrade without completly changing my pc parts...