Question Worth changing from 6800xt to 3080?

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
Hi,
I got a problem with my Power Color Re Devil 6800xt. I got fps drops and my Gpu isn't used at 100%. I tried a lot of different things but nothing worked. The usage goes from 60% to 85%. I have a R5 3600, an Asus tuf b450 and 16go 3466mhz. My friend who has the exact same card, and has a R5 5600x, an Msi b550 (don't know exactly) and 32go 3600mhz. We have different computers but we have the same problem.
So this can not be a Cpu bottleneck. And this can only be an issue from our gpu. We are thinking of changing to a RTX 3080 but I saw some people have the same problem with their 3080. So here is my question, is it worth changing from a 6800xt to a rtx 3080 for gaming in 1440p?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You act as if the framrate is supposed to be constant. It isn't. There's always frame drops, depending on what's happening on screen. You'll get huge frame drops just standing in an open world field of tall grass, especially if viewing distance is max, grass detail is max etc.

I get frame drops from a game capped 200fps down to 20 at times, when the scene goes static.

Fps is from the cpu. That's hot to set every object, every dimension, every angle, all Ai, lighting affects, nametags, damage, shadows etc. Once that's done, that data gets sent to the gpu, which only has to paint the frame on screen. At no point can it exceed to amount of frames sent by the cpu.

So if you get frame drops, start looking at Why, don't bother automatically blaming the gpu or drivers etc, it all starts with the cpu.

If the cpu only sends 110fps, that's the max the gpu can put on screen. A scene later it might be 150fps. 99% of the time it's entirely due to the game code itself.

Fallout4 had a particular set of outdoor stairs. Halfway up, without any other changes to view, fps would drop to 20ish (on any cpu/gpu combo) for a few steps, then jump right back up into the 100+. Simply a game code anomoly. Affected everybody.

A gpu like the 6800x isn't going to randomly drop frames for no reason, start looking to the cpu and what affects are active, does it happen in the exact same frames with repeated runs, sudden massive explosions, huge particle density wall eruptions etc.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
Hi,
I got a problem with my Power Color Re Devil 6800xt. I got fps drops and my Gpu isn't used at 100%. I tried a lot of different things but nothing worked. The usage goes from 60% to 85%. I have a R5 3600, an Asus tuf b450 and 16go 3466mhz. My friend who has the exact same card, and has a R5 5600x, an Msi b550 (don't know exactly) and 32go 3600mhz. We have different computers but we have the same problem.
So this can not be a Cpu bottleneck. And this can only be an issue from our gpu. We are thinking of changing to a RTX 3080 but I saw some people have the same problem with their 3080. So here is my question, is it worth changing from a 6800xt to a rtx 3080 for gaming in 1440p?
It's not a GPU problem if it's only using 60-85% usage. Are you on latest drivers? What are your temps while gaming? What PSU? Are you running in dual channel mode?

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
It's not a GPU problem if it's only using 60-85% usage. Are you on latest drivers? What are your temps while gaming? What PSU? Are you running in dual channel mode?
Yes I have the latest divers, I also did a DDU when I installed the GPU. The temps are 65° max. I have a 750 watt PSU from Aerocool (I know it's not the greatest but I have a corsair 850w incoming). And yes I'm running dual channel.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Is it worth it? NO. The 6800 XT is a perfectly fine card.

Not every game utilizes the GPU at 100%.

Try Heaven GPU benchmark or unigine superposition, and see if the GPU is utilized completely, then compare your results with the average 6800 XT.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
I don't really want 100% usage, I want to not have drops. Like in warzone I would like to have 144 fps for my 144hz screen. But One moment I have 150 fps and the second after it can go down to 110 fps

D

Deleted member 2720853

I doubt that's a problem with the GPU itself then. Start looking somewhere else -- temps, drivers, if XMP/DOCP is enabled... Try enabling CPPC & CPPC Preferred Cores in the BIOS.

Or yeah, post an userbenchmark result.

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
The temps are 65° max so that's not it. My XMP is enabled so not that either. And that's really dumb but I'm first on this forum and I don't know how to post images.... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Roberto62

Prominent
Jan 30, 2021
One question, could it be the PSU ? mine is 750W and it's recommended 850W for the power color red devil, and I have a Aerocool and a lot of peaople say that's a <Mod Edit> one

Last edited by a moderator: